Receiver reset on it's own -help?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Starlight82, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Starlight82

Starlight82 New Member

Jul 28, 2015
    Michigan
    I've had my Direct-tv HD-DVR receiver for a few years now and have had no problems until the last couple weeks or so when the receiver would just randomly reset. At first I thought it was my dog pushing her little toy bin into the power strip so I moved that and there wasn't any problems until last night when out of the blue it reset but it was having trouble with doing the complete reset. Like it would get to the very first screen after the reset and it would then be nothing ( which would make my tv go off) and then it would try to start it all over again. It would do this a couple times before the complete reset took place. There were no problems for I would say a good three hours and then it did the exact same thing again. I checked the plugs and the power strip, checked the fuse box....everything I could think of. It did a complete reset again and it's now been well over 15 hours and the receiver has been fine.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? At first I thought it was a bad plug but my tv and blu-ray player are in the same power strip and they were working fine while the receiver was resetting itself so I don't know what else it could be.

2. cforrest

cforrest Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Could be a sign the hard drive in the DVR is going. I would run a diagnostic of the HD to see if it is going.

3. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Also it could be guide data related. Running a system test will show if you have issues receiving some satellite signals.

1 person likes this.
  4. Starlight82

Starlight82 New Member

Jul 28, 2015
    Michigan
    Oh no. Could this be because I have quite a bit saved on my DVR?
    How would I run a diagnostic of the HD?

5. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.
    * When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select
    * You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."
    * Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.
    * If the other tests pass, run the surface test. Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive.

1 person likes this.
  6. Starlight82

Starlight82 New Member

Jul 28, 2015
    Michigan
    Thank you! I'm just glad this seems like something I can do versus trying to get a hold of Directv ( which I couldn't do last night).

Just to clarify: Is it the surface test that could take several hours to complete or is it all the tests?

7. tomspeer46

tomspeer46 Legend

Nov 17, 2011
    Eastern NC...
    The surface test will take a long time.

1 person likes this.
  8. Starlight82

Starlight82 New Member

Jul 28, 2015
    Michigan
    Just this morning the receiver set itself again,I let it go because I was too tired to run the diagnostic tests and it took two tries but it started itself up again. However after five minutes it reset again and got up to start the tests but three times nowI get as far as "entering diagnostic mode" before it resets itself again with "Hello your DirecTV receiver is starting up ".

Also, every time the receiver acts up this morning,it will turn off my vizio TV even though I am in adifferent mode watching Netfli on my blu ray player. Why would it be doing that and not letting me run any tests? Is the hard drive too far gone?

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Go to system info and see what the temperature of the DVR is . The fan could be plugged with dust. It is possible that it is overheating.

10. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I think it's time to call DirecTV and request a replacement DVR. It's free if you have their Equipment Protection Plan. Otherwise ~$20 for shipping.

1 person likes this.
  11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Kinda doubt that. Not a normal symptom of a bad HDD. More likely the DVR itself is going south.

Rich

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    No, what you'll see with a loaded HDD is slowness of the HR. Don't worry about the HDD, worry about the HR. Stick an external HDD on the HR and you'll probably have the same problems. That would be conclusive proof that the DVR is shot.

Rich

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Agreed. Running diagnostics isn't the answer, I think. I've had the same problem with several HRs and it was always the HR itself.

Rich

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I think he'd get a notification of some sort if it was overheating. I pulled the fan plug out on one to see what happened a few years ago and I got a message about overheating.

Rich

1 person likes this.
  15. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Sound to me more like power supply going wonky. Call DTV.

16. Starlight82

Starlight82 New Member

Jul 28, 2015
    Michigan
    I did check the internal temp because I was curious (since the stupid thing finally came back on and has stayed on for the past few hours) and it read 109 degrees which is pretty normal right?

I will be calling DirecTV shortly since it look like I have no other choice. Out of curiosity, will they let me keep the old DVR ? There is stuffI have saved that I would love to keep but I don't have any equipment now to get the programs off the DVR.

17. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    That depends on which DVR you have>?

What model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door..

18. Starlight82

Starlight82 New Member

Jul 28, 2015
    Michigan
    I have the HR22-100.

19. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Yes, that temp is fine. I don't think there is a problem until they get around 140°.

1 person likes this.
  20. Starlight82

Starlight82 New Member

Jul 28, 2015
    Michigan
    I realize this is a bit off topic so forgive me but does anyone know why my tv keeps shutting itself off when the receiver starts acting up? I even unplugged the receiver this morning because I thought it would leave the tv alone and I could continue to watch netflix but the tv would still turn off while my blu-ray player would continue to run just fine.