Receiver Suggestion, and Free DVR Service?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Matt.L, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Matt.L

Matt.L New Member

Mar 14, 2019
    I know I probably should call up Dish for answers, but thought it'd be better to ask around first and be informed before contacting them. I don't know anyone with Dish service. Glad I found a Dish forum.

I've been a Dish customer since 2008. 1 TV, 1 receiver, I think VIP 211 it's silver. The receiver died a week or so ago (impressed it lasted thing long).

How does the replacement process work? Is this something they replace for free, or will they charge me or make me buy a new one? If I'm going to be charged, what is an appropriate receiver to buy from them? I notice there are several models, but all I need is basic HD TV.

Also, I read on some other site that there are certain receivers you can buy and then pay Dish a one-time fee for DVR. Maybe I misunderstood. I never had DVR service but if this is something available I'd be interested. Does this offer still exist with Dish, and if so, is it limited to some receiver model?

Thanks!

2. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Receivers 211K, 211Z and Wally can be made into DVRs for a one time $40 fee. You must also buy a hard drive to connect to the receiver. A 211K will be the closest to your dead 211.. Wally is "new" and uses a different interface. I have two 211Ks and a Wally, 211K is active and Wally is in the closet I don't like it. Wally in the DVR format has 2 tuners so you can record one program while watching another, or you can record 2 programs but you can't watch 2 programs live.

3. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I agree. I have the 211k and I love it. No internet use. I get my Dish On Demand via the Fire Stick for free, but it works fine for me. Plus with the 211k, you can add an antenna and use the OTA tuner too, making it dual tuner.

4. Matt.L

Matt.L New Member

Mar 14, 2019
    Thanks very much for the helpful info, RBA & mwdxer!

$40 seems reasonable, I've noted it down so they don't try to overcharge me.

Is it cheaper to buy the 211k from Dish or elsewhere? I see Amazon has a few ~$100 I think used.

Actually, would Dish ship one for free as leased equipment? I don't remember if I paid for the original receiver.

For example, when my modem died, my ISP shipped a new one and I shipped the old one back.

Does Dish do the same? And if so, is it easy to get them to ship a particular model?

Thanks again.

5. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    211/211K/211Z are discontinued models replaced by the Wally. All are used even if described as new in box. Wally is the only model so if you buy it from DISH that is the only model they can ship.
    Questions about DISH handeling of discontinued receivers will have to be handled by DISH, give them a call 800-333-3474.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If you have access to your account online you can see if your 211 is leased or not. I expect DISH would ship a leased Wally as a replacement - with a commitment. But DISH bases their offers on the individual, account history and credit ratings vary so offers can vary.

7. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Word of caution, if you have an EHD connected to your 211, it is NOT compatible with the Wally.

The Wally will reformat it and any programs saved are gone.