1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receivers, DST & Indiana

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Ray_Clum, Mar 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Is there a setting, particularly on the 522DVR, that I need to change since Indiana is now observing Daylight Savings Time? I poked around the menu last night and couldn't see anything, but I thought someone else might have run into it...

2. mikemorin

mikemorin AllStar

Jan 15, 2006
    I'm from Indiana also and I'm pretty sure it will detect your current time on your system and display it on the display when you change channels...I'm near Terre Haute & I'm confused about this time change I think will be on Eastern time does that mean i don't touch my clock Sunday or do i move it ahead 1 hour??

Thanks
    Mike
    Midwest Satellite

3. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    NO, it's all handled by Dish with an update to the receivers smartcard Sunday.
    (So you have hope dish gets it correct)

4. Vodad

Vodad Cool Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Mike,

This map shows the counties and what time zone they will be in.

http://www.in.gov/iot/pdfs/indiana_counties.jpg

The white ones move clocks ahead one hour Sunday, the Black ones stay the same this time. Then all will start the move ahead move behind in the fall.

James

5. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    What were they smoking when the eastern/central time zone line was drawn? Those counties in the far western-central part of Indianna (the ones in white) are in the eastern zone??? They are as far west at the black counties above and below them.

It gets worse in Kentucky. When you drive south on I-65 you cross over from eastern to central half-way through KY. Up until this year if your trip on I-65 south started in Indianapolis, you would have to change your watch forward and back as you travel south.

6. derwin0

derwin0 Icon

Jan 31, 2005
    You can blame the railroads for that. They drew them up to set rail schedules, with little regard to state lines.
    Part of Indiana's law that restores DST to the Eastern portion, also petitions the Federal Gov't Dept. of Transportation to review the Eastern/Central dividing line, probably with the goal of putting the 77 counties that didn't follow DST into the Central Time Zone instead of Eastern.

7. mikemorin

mikemorin AllStar

Jan 15, 2006
    I hate it i wish the whole freakin state was either central or eastern 1 or the other not some on some off VERY stupid...Vote For Mitch Daniels!!! hahaha HELL NO he made this mess

mike
    midwest satellite

8. Fifty Caliber

Fifty Caliber Banned User

Jan 4, 2006
    I wish they did it by county lines. But then again I feel that congresional districts and DMA borders should be done by county lines as well.

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Some of those black counties are already on Central Time and WILL need to move their clocks forward (as they have done for the past 30+ years). Only the counties moving from Eastern to Central should not change their clocks.

As far as the receivers go, it's up to E* to get it right. Somehow I expect to be making a phone call on Sunday when they get it wrong. :D Changes are fun to catch.

Right now all my Sunday programs are at the "wrong times". The DVR events I have set have followed the programs one hour early on my 622 but are at their usual times (highlighting the wrong program) on my 501. Normally on Sunday the time doesn't change and my 501's DVR events magically start recording an hour earlier (and in the fall shift back). This year we in Indiana "Spring Forward" for the first time (in most of Indiana) which means the EPG needs to adjust and my 501 needs to leave it's record times intact.

It should be fun. As I noted above ... I expect to be making a call.

It is by County lines in Indiana. Most time zone lines follow county lines. There are very few places where the time zone line isn't on a county or state line. (There are many places where residents choose their own time zone depending on what side of the line they feel more a part of - but the legal line is normally a county line.)

10. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    That process is complete and the map linked in the other posts is the result of those DOT hearings.

The US DOT did make one glaring error. They initally refused the petition of Pulaski County (in October) but without even one word asking for reconsideration changed their minds when the final ruling was made (in February) and moved Pulaski County into the Central Time Zone. Now Pulaski County has petitioned for Eastern Time and the only response they have received is a threat from the US Government that if they don't follow the time the US DOT set for them the county will lose federal highway funds. It's a case of the federal government not listening.

11. skizer

skizer AllStar

May 16, 2004
    It was funny @ the half time celebration for Reggie Miller last night on TNT when they announced Daniels.....Both times his name was said, he was welcomed with very load boos.

I don't understand how they decided that we should be Eastern (on the same time as Maine & Florida) and not Central (where we would have been on the same time as Chicago, which is only 3 hours from Indianapolis).

It should have been voted on by the people.....but that would have made too much sense!

12. DougRuss

DougRuss Legend

Oct 16, 2005

I'm in one of those "Black Zone" Counties ( LaPorte) and we still move our Clocks Ahead !

13. Chrissy

Chrissy New Member

Apr 1, 2006
    Ok....I dont know HOW I found this board, but Im glad I did because I have had questions about this Daylight Savings Time in Indiana, and my DVR. So, do I understand this correctly (after reading this thread) that the smartcard thingy in my DVR will automatically detect the right time tomorrow (Sunday)? I have many movies all ready to record next week, and I hope it's not going to record an hour later than they're supposed to record.

14. retiredTech

retiredTech Icon

Oct 27, 2003
    NEVER TRUST TIMERS TO BE RIGHT IF YOU SET THEM BEFORE THE TIME CHANGE!

or at least that is my experience. I always have to change my timers on my 721 after the time change or they will be an hour off!

So I usually just wait until AFTER my 721 changes its clock THEN set my new timers.

As for Indiana time zones, they are screwy alright. Mostly because they center around Chicago and Louisville for CT and ET esle-where. And no-one knows how to draw a straight line :)

15. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    My 501, 211 and 622 magically added an hour exactly at 2:00am and the timers moved appropriately.

Wow! (And I'm in the most of Indiana where this is the first time the clocks have changed in 30 years.)

BTW: 12 states are divided into two time zones.

16. alebowgm

alebowgm Hall Of Fame

Jun 12, 2004
    Obviously James had nothing better to do, lol...

17. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    Okay I'll bite: What 12 states have two time zones?

18. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Alaska, FL,Indiana, KS, TX, KY TN,ME, nd sd, ne,or, id, mi

19. Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    1. Indiana (E/C)
    2. Kentucky (E/C)
    3. Tennessee (E/C)
    4. Michigan (E/C)
    5. Texas (C/M)
    6. Kansas (C/M)
    7. Nebraska (C/M)
    8. South Dakota (C/M)
    9. North Dakota (C/M)
    10. Idaho (M/P)
    11. Oregon (M/P)
    12. Alaska (Alaska/Aleutian)

20. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I wasn't thinking about Alaska ...
    Florida is the 12th state on my list (so 13 divided states?).
    (f) Florida. From the southwest corner of the State of Georgia to the midpoint of the Apalachicola River on the downstream side of Jim Woodruff Dam; thence southerly along the middle of the main channel of the Apalachicola River to its intersection with the Jackson River; thence westerly along the center of the Jackson River to its intersection with the Intracoastal Waterway; thence westerly along the center of the Intracoastal Waterway to the west line of Gulf County; thence southerly along the west line of Gulf County to the Gulf of Mexico.​

Slightly dated (2004) but here is a link to the legal definition of the boundries:
    http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_04/49cfr71_04.html

The words in blue have been changed:
    (b) Indiana-Illinois. From the junction of the western boundary of the State of Michigan with the northern boundary of the State of Indiana easterly along the northern boundary of the State of Indiana to the east line of LaPorte County; thence southerly along the east line of LaPorte County to the north line of Starke County; thence east along the north line of Starke County to the west line of Mashall County; thence south along the west line of Marshall County and Fulton County to the north line of Cass County; thence west along the south line of Pulaski County to the east line of Jasper County; thence south along the east line of Jasper County to the south line of Jasper County; thence west along the south lines of Jasper and Newton Counties to the western boundary of the State of Indiana; thence south along the western boundary of the State of Indiana to the north line of Knox County; thence easterly along the north line of Knox, Daviess, and Martin Counties to the west line of Lawrence County; thence south along the west line of Lawrence, Orange, and Crawford Counties to the north line of Perry County; thence easterly and southerly along the north and east line of Perry County to the Indiana-Kentucky boundary.

(c) Kentucky. From the junction of the east line of Perry County, Ind., with the Indiana-Kentucky boundary easterly along that boundary to the west line of Meade County, Ky.; thence southeasterly and southwesterly along the west lines of Meade and Hardin Counties to the southwest corner of Hardin County; thence along the south lines of Hardin and Larue Counties to the northwest corner of Taylor County; thence southeasterly along the west (southwest) lines of Taylor County and northeasterly along the east (southeast) line of Taylor County to the west line of Casey County; and thence southerly along the west and south lines of Casey and Pulaski Counties to the intersection with the western boundary of Wayne County; and then south along the western boundary of Wayne County to the Kentucky-Tennessee boundary.​

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.