Recent Food show about Chef who Liquid Nitrogens Food, than serves it?

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Tele-TV, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Tele-TV

Tele-TV Godfather

Nov 26, 2003
    Hey guys. Been a while. On Fine Living Network (FLN) right now they have a show with host George Duran Liqiuid Nitrogening (LN) (even a word?, lol) food....

and it made me think of something.

Has there been a show on Food Network or another channel recently where a guy makes weird concoctions with LN, and than serves it to his customers?

I searched Google and FoodNetwork.com but can't find anything. It sort of driving me crazy. TIA!

2. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    There was a recent episode of Dinner Impossible when Robert used LN2 to cool a sorbet (I think). He specifically said that it will cool the item very quickly and make small ice crystals so it will seem more smooth.

3. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    I seem to recall an episode of The Next Iron Chef where the contestants had to prepare food using "progressive" methods. One of them was using LN2 (Liquid Nitrogen) as a way to cool food. Most used it to prepare ice cream by means of flash freezing as its boiling point is -321 degrees F and it would instantly go from liquid to vapor.

Some other non-food related uses:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_nitrogen#Uses

4. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    There have been several Top Chef contestants (Bravo Network) over the years that have employed LN techniques.

5. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    They use it all the time on Iron Chef America.

6. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
  7. Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    Richard Blais has been an assistant chef several times on Iron Chef America where he used this technique. As a contestant on Top Chef he also used liquid nitrogen several times.

It's been a while, but Dinner Impossible had a show in Vegas where a meal was fixed for a group of magicians. Everything in the meal looked like something else. I didn't see pictures on the site, but they do write what the food was and what it looked like when served. I think Wylie Dufresne helped Robert on this show - http://www.foodnetwork.com/dinner-impossible/magicians-meal/index.html.

8. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    Cat Cora uses liquid nitrogen for SOMETHING just about every time she's on Iron Chef America. That and Ouzo shots for everyone when the challenge is done. :)

9. Tele-TV

Tele-TV Godfather

Nov 26, 2003
    ALL:

I want to thank everyone for their replies. I'll keep checking my DVR and the web for liquid nitrogen themed food episodes.

Charise, that Dinner Impossible show, even though I can't stand the premise, the episode you mention sounds pretty interesting. I'll keep checking my DVR for this episode.

Thanks again to all.

10. Charise

Jan 25, 2004
  11. Charise

Jan 25, 2004
    From the preview for Top Chef Masters, it looks like Wylie DuFresne will be on next Wednesday. It's on Bravo network. There was no way to tell what he'll be making, but I'll be watching to see. :D

12. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans