Recent HR54/C61k issues

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by n3ntj, Feb 24, 2019.

1. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Lately, I have been seeing a good deal of random freeze ups and other issues. Sometimes audio/video freezes, somes just video freezes, etc. Pressing any remote buttons won’t do anything for maybe 30 secs. When I go to my Guide, the top line of the channel list is just a blue bar as if the first channel isn’t displaying text or only a little text. In info for a program, garbage horizontal bars show up randomly. I have had these units for almost a year and each has their current available firmware. RBRs fix the issue sometimes for a short time. See screenshot as an example. Time to get a new receiver??

Attached Files:

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Have you tried a search for CLEARMYBOX ? It clears out all the old graphics and reloads them.

3. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    How would that address the freezes, lockups, etc?

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Your picture shows screwed up graphics for the grid.
    The search will delete all graphics and reload them, possibly fixing the problem.
    This does not delete recordings , nor does it change settings of anything.
    Takes basically the same time as a red button reset.

compnurd likes this.
  5. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    Looks like you have an AM21 in there to get Philly OTA. Have you tried removing it to eliminate that as the issue?

jimmie57 likes this.
  6. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I don’t think the Am21 is causing freezeups and lockups. This happens on recordings and live TV.

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Others have reported that disconnecting the AM21 stopped the problems.
    At least give it a try.

8. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    How full is your Hard Drive? What % is used--

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Are you able to click back and see the video issues again in the same place when viewing a recording?

Rich

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Only time I've seen this happen on my 44 was when the HDD was almost full, only happened once, I learned. Good question.

Rich

WestDC likes this.
  11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    We have seen AM21s cause some strange problems, you really should try disconnecting it. Shouldn't take long to see if that helps.

Rich

12. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    Over and over and over again this discussion goes on.
    IT IS AN ISSUE WITH DIRECTV.
    IT HAPPENS WITH OR WITHOUT THE AM21.
    IT HAPPENS ON NETWORKS AND NON-NETWORKS.
    IT HAPPENS AT MY HOUSE, MY DAUGHTERS HOUSE, AND MY SISTERS HOUSE. ALL IN DIFFERENT STATES.
    IT'S NOT YOUR EQUIPMENT. IT'S NOT YOUR CABELING. IT'S NOT YOUR POWER INSERTER OR ANYTHING ELSE.
    IT IS AN ISSUE WITH DIRECTV THAT THEY HAVE NOT/CAN NOT FIX.

P Smith likes this.
  13. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    My HDD has 81% capacity left... in other words, filled up about 19%. After the freezes, etc. I will RW and, most of the time, be able to watch what was initially missed.

14. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    I'm having similar issues, HR54 / C61K combo, I don't THINK I have an AM21. I've had this before, and it seems a firmware fixed it. I'm guessing the most current firmware has broken it again. Add to that I'm frequently losing network connection (which was a problem for awhile, then firmware fixed it, and now back, and also occasionally getting the message that that the TV doesn't support 4k when it does (this is a directtv message), which also went away a few firmwares ago, and is now back

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Do you have an external drive on the 54?

Rich

16. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    No external HDD. My freeze and lock up issues have been going on for a few months off and on randomly so it does not appear to be a new or old firmware issue. I have the current firmware in the C61k and HR54.

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Be interesting to see if a new HDD in an external device would get rid of your video problems. I blamed the software and the HRs themselves for years concerning video and audio problems. I think I was wrong, I think the HDDs are the root cause of many of these problems now.

Rich

18. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Is it easy to setup and connect an ext. HDD to an HR54? If I recall, its either interior or exterior HDD, but not both, correct?

19. codespy

codespy RIP Starr! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    I'm not trying to be a smart-@$$ here, but what do you mean when you say 'I don't THINK I have an AM21'? Do you know what one looks like? Google could be your friend on this statement......

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    yes, correct