1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reconfigurarion ='d Receiver Troubles

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by BethyK, Jul 5, 2010.

1. BethyK

BethyK New Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Im upgrading D* in the middle of BFE at my husbands duck hunting cabin - an hour+ from any town with qualified installation assistance, so I'm on my own & learning as I go. The old sat died a few weeks ago so I replaced it with HD Slimline 5. Replaced 1 receiver going from SD to HD and added 2 add'l HD recvr's. I mounted the dish & ran all the coax etc myself. Connections are all tight and the wiring is all brand new.
    the old system yielded signal strenghts of 94-96. The new sat strugges to attain consistant 80+ signal strengths but 2 of 3 recvr's do keep reception well enuf to yield acceptable viewing (w an occassional glitchy pic). 3rd rec'r does not. sat 101 only shows transponders 1,3,15,29 &31 picking up signal at all - however those #s are in the 90's.

Is this purely a dish pointing issue (eventhough 2 out of 3 recvr's do get picture) or is there potentially another issue? Equip is all new. H24's, SWM, dish etc...

I do not have any meters to assist with dish pointing, but if any1 can tell me what might help me get the dish pointed more accurately (esp given my ltd resources out here) I'll give it a shot. Any advice wld b greatly appreciated! I'm willing 2 travel 2 buy a meter if I know what I'm after & any1 thinks thats the root cause of the trouble... Thanks, Bethy

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    The fact you have it marginally working is an accomplishment for an amatuer installer. Rather than spending 300-400 dollars on a meter call D* and get a professional install.

3. Blackwing

Blackwing AllStar

Oct 24, 2007
    Multi switch installed??

4. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I'd start with the Dish alignment to get signal levels back into the 90's first.

If you have other issues remaining after that...those can be narrowed once you know you have stable reception.

Here's a good thread on the proper install for your new dish...

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=148507

5. BethyK

BethyK New Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Thanks to all who are advising! Your support is much appreciated... Believe me, ifd I could have an installer, I would, but we are so far out of anywhere that even Direct won't commit to getting anyone out here on a timeline when we are available... this is more of a vacation cabin... so I'm on my own.
    The SWM is in and everything there seems good. All sets are new 1080p capable HD LED's and all rcvr's are H24's. There are 3 total of each.
    Only 1 rcvr at this pt is not able to detect the sat signal & I fear it's simply a degraded signal. Im going to work on increasing the signal strength & see how that goes. If there's any more advice, I welcome it.
    Thanks
    Bethy

6. Blackwing

Blackwing AllStar

Oct 24, 2007
    Ok Bad multiswitch would be my thought if only one is not getting good recep.
    try switching output from the multisw to see if you can make a different set the bad one. if so Multisw is bad...

7. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Try swapping this "bad" Receiver with one of your good Receivers. If the problem stays with the "bad" Receiver, you can be pretty sure it's defective. If the problem stays in its room, then something is wrong with the satellite feed into that room. Let us know what you find.

8. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    Doesn't anyone here smell something fishy? Maybe it's just the cabin...3 HDTVs at her hubby's duck hunting place...Beth"y"...newbie...can acquire a SWM Dish...texting abbreviations...reconfiguration????

OK..I'll bite, but....

If two receivers are getting a good signal, then pointing is not the problem and no meter will help. Most likely, either a switch or bad cable.

9. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I'm not biting. "Her" first post alerted me. The second post comfirmed my suspicion. You've been had fellas.