1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

record directly hr24 external hard drive

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by rtk, Nov 14, 2011.

1. rtk

rtk AllStar

Apr 14, 2007
    Can you record directly to an external hard drive connected to an HD24 or is the external drive used for archival/extra storage?

2. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    when you add a external drive, the internal is disconnected and the external is formated as the primary drive. All recordings go to that unit, the unit cannot be flipped betwen dvr's and retain the ability to view the movies

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Its not like Dish dvrs....when you hook up an external, its the only drive. You *can* switch back and forth between the internal drive and the external one by rebooting and connecting/disconnecting the external during the reboot.

4. rtk

rtk AllStar

Apr 14, 2007
    So is there any downside/disadvantage to connecting an external drive to increase storage space vs. swapping out the internal hard drive in an HR24 which I own? Plugging in an external drive seems to be a lot simplier unless there are issues.

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    No downside other than having a separate enclosure by your DVR. This is in fact the way DirecTV wants you to do it. With leased DVRs, you are not supposed to open them and change internal components.

Should your external drive fail, you can simply unplug it and your DVR will be back to life with your internal drive (but will NOT have your recordings on it).

6. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I consider it an advantage..if I feel a drive is starting to have issues, and run a few tests on it and see it is showing the early signs of a failure, I hook it and a new drive up to my pc, copy the old drive to the new drive, and bam, havent lost any shows or skipped a beat...of course there are a few steps in there but you get the point. I'll probably never run on internal drives again as long as I'm with Direct and they still use the current external option.

7. rtk

rtk AllStar

Apr 14, 2007
    Thank you, looks like external hard drive it is.