Record Hi8 to DVD using DV/D8 connection

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by offrovin, Apr 29, 2019.

1. offrovin

offrovin New Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Older equipment. Problem is connection of 4-pin to 4-pin firewire cable just purchased. Purpose is to record from digital handycam Hi8 tapes to DVD+R using DV connection. Equipment is Sony DCR-TRV103 Digital Handycam & Sony RDR-VXD655 Video Cassette Recorder/DVD Recorder. Both fully operational in all other modes.
    Camera's only connection is firewire to the recorder; not connected to TV as I already viewed the recorded tape. I made the appropriate recording settings; each piece of equipment shows that the cable is connected. In dubbing mode, the recorder controls the camera (starts the Hi8 tape playing) as it should. Message on TV, "camera is not connected". Camera tape is playing, no recording occurs.
    The 2 equipment DV jacks had never been used before, so they should be OK. But I can't verify the cord itself is the problem, as haven't found any camera shop with equipment that accepts a 4-pin plug to test it. Tearing my hair out. Any ideas? Thank you! Betty

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    My old digital cam worked pretty well when connected to my computer. Just a couple of clicks and I could transfer/copy the video files to my windows computer.

Is that an option? If so, once you get it to your computer, copy to your DVD player?

Just a thought.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    According the video, your camera have no FireWire connection; just S-Video (4 pins) and RCA A/V jacks.

4. offrovin

offrovin New Member

Feb 6, 2009
    My camera does have the jack, labeled DV in/out; has a black rubber plug; is under lens bottom left area. Also has S video, A/V jacks. Want to use the DV jack for best recording quality.

5. offrovin

offrovin New Member

Feb 6, 2009
    My HP laptop has no firewire jack, so computer connection is a no go.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    First, I would try other FW cable. Then perhaps I would buy PCMCIA card with FW port(s) to transfer/edit footage on my notebook [Dell E5400].

7. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I’m a little confused, how are you connecting the camcorder to the VHS/DVD recorder? I’m not seeing a FireWire input on that unit.

Can you not use the S-video or yellow/red/white audio video connections instead?

If you don’t want to use those connections sounds like you need a FireWire to USB adapter box in order to transfer them to your computer.

8. offrovin

offrovin New Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Have ordered another, this time a Belkin.

9. offrovin

offrovin New Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Recorder does have the firewire jack on front of unit behind a flip down panel. Would have to buy an S-video (we moved, I threw away one I had); do have the AV cables, but apparently best recorded picture quality is the DV connection (firewire) according to owner's manual. I've read those USB adapters frequently don't work... been on Google a week for any info on this...

10. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    FireWire will be far better quality than AV cables. I’d keep at it with new cables and adapters for a computer if what’s on those tapes is personal videos that’s important. Or I’d consider sending them to a company that will transfer the recordings for you. Costco is one place. Another is gotmemories.com. I’ve used got memories and was very happy with them myself.

11. offrovin

offrovin New Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Apparently when one firewire cable doesn't work, another might, so fingers crossed on the newly ordered Belkin cable. I have 25 VHS tapes & 58 Hi8 tapes & cost to have even Costco transfer them would be a bit much, especially since I have the equipment to do it - if I can just get a working firewire cable!
    Just don't understand why a computer is in the equation (mine is HP Pavilion notebook; no PCMCIA card slot) since my recorder will transfer to DVD directly. Objective is to preserve them all on DVD's - the newest on tape being 19 years old. And yes, outings with 3 sons, 2 yrs RV'ing all over Europe, etc.

Thank you for the encouragement, & big thanks to all who've replied; much appreciated. Last stupid question: when the existing firewire is plugged into the camera & the recorder, each recognizes the cable is plugged into its jack, but when dubbing is activated, recorder says "camera not connected". Is it possible for the cable to connect, but not be strong enough to carry video & audio?

12. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Also make sure those are digital 8 (DV) tapes! Regular Hi8 is an analog format.

Some camcorders might playback both formats, but there's no way to get a DV signal from it if it's playing an analog Hi8 tape.

If analog you would have to use an S-connector or composite A/V cables.

13. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
  14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Those tapes could be just recorded in ANALOG format...
    if you would play them on camera, what info you could see about the tape(s) ?

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    not really, it's digital connection … so if some commands went through then A/V stream would goes too;
    actually, does the camera begin play tape when you press Dub on recorder ? Or you are manually should press buttons on the camera ?

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    that's unusual for notebooks .. what model you have ? perhaps there is ExpressCard port

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    It's our assumption of possible other way to transfer [and EDIT/MASTERING DVD !] recordings if something wrong in a path between camera and the recorder

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Not only that, but another major advantage - speed of transferring !
    FW could handle x100 speed, if your target device is like PC or HDD.

19. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    there're so many of them … you could pick that one what have best customer's response and perhaps USB 3.0 support if your notebook have such USB port

20. offrovin

offrovin New Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Oldest Hi8 tape 1994 from previous Sony camcorder, probably not digital. On LCD screen, upper right "H8 SP", the play icon, tape counter. Lower right, date recorded, then disappears; shows again when date changes. Data Code button doesn't show time.

You're probably right, except later tapes recorded on present DCR-TRV103 digital result in same message (not connected) when trying to dub to DVD. These show on LCD screen upper right: tape/frame counter 0:00:00:00 - hour, minute, second, frame. Bottom left, date & time.

So guess will have to use S-video for those earlier tapes.