1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Record light flashing

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by sooner02, Jul 31, 2010.

1. sooner02

sooner02 Legend

Feb 21, 2009
    I have two HR20-700's and several weeks ago I noticed that every few minutes the record light will flash on and off quickly. They never did this before it seems until that weird software update that shut everyone's DVR off. I haven't really given much thought to it, but can anyone tell me why they are doing this?

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    It's probably the unit trying to "call home". Is the unit connected to the Internet or phone line?

3. sooner02

sooner02 Legend

Feb 21, 2009
    No, neither are.

4. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    It doesn't happen here and I have my HR20-700 connected to both the phone line and the Internet.

I never had CallerID before I got the DVR but really like it now.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Honestly that's a new one for me. Maybe the connection to the front panel us getting loose.

6. ftwrich

ftwrich New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    One of my receivers is an HR20-700 and a couple of weeks ago my son mentioned that he noticed the record light flash a few times over a over a period of days and asked if I knew what it was. At the time I had not seen it myself. But, a couple of days ago I finally saw it and it happened again last night. It's just a quick flash on/off. I do not have a phone line connected nor do I currently have any of my receivers connected to my network. So, don't know if it's the same thing but wanted the OP to know he's not the only one seeing flashing lights:lol:

7. larryk

larryk Legend

Aug 17, 2006
    My HR20-700 has started doing this also. I started noticing this about two weeks ago...

8. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    If it's not connected to the Internet or a phone line it can't call home. It keeps trying over and over and that's when you see the light flash.

9. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    That's why it doesn't happen, because it can "call home".

10. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Connect it to a phone line or the Internet and the flashing will stop.

11. o7RAVENS

o7RAVENS Mentor

Oct 28, 2007
    Baltimore Md.
    My HR20 700 is connected and its been doing this for about 3 or 4 weeks now. Light blinks and sometimes stays on for up to 1 minute, sometimes10 sec., sometimes less sometimes more, who knows. Everything else works fine except it is a little slow.

12. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    My HR20-700 also does this randomly.. I'll notice the record light come on for a flash and then go back off. I do not have my HR20-700 connected to a phone line.

13. boggsaz

boggsaz Cool Member

May 27, 2007
    Add me to the list. Both of my HR20-700's have randomly flashing record lights.

It's been happening for a few weeks now. Both are also running slower that usual.

Neither is hooked up to a phone line or the internet. It has to be from a software update, as it just recently started.

14. kd4ao

kd4ao Legend

Jun 12, 2004
    My HR20-700 did that often around a year ago, I have only seen it once lately. I did notice that the color of the light is different than when it is recording a show. I don't remember right now but either orange instead of red or other way around. My thought was that it might be when it is recording those "commercials or info bits", not sure though.

15. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Is it the same color that comes up when the HR is actually recording? I had one doing that a while ago and all my HRs are hooked up to phone wires and the Internet. Never did figure out what was going on.

Rich

16. boggsaz

boggsaz Cool Member

May 27, 2007
    Yes, in my case. It's orange.

17. scrybigtv

scrybigtv Godfather

Jan 25, 2008
    Once when I got out of bed late at night to get a drink of water, I caught my HR21-100 standing at the kitchen cabinet fixing itself a ham sandwich.

It hasn't happened sinceā€¦but I did hear it emit a soft burping sound the next morning. :)

18. sooner02

sooner02 Legend

Feb 21, 2009
    Mine are still doing this. The flash is a slightly different shade of orange because I notice it flashing while recording. It seems it flashes brighter than the normal recording light.

Why would they need to "call home"? They are located in areas where there is no accessible RJ45 connection, and I can only get a phone line to one of them. Is it all that important to have them connected? If they do whatever connection they wanted with the Internet/phone, will the flashing stop?

19. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Logic rarely prevails when you're discussing the HRs. I got the "light" yesterday after installing a new HDD in a 20-700. Way to brief to be a phone call, I think.

Rich

20. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    When mine flash red, not orange, they are calling home. I can verify this by either magic jack logs, before Internet calling was implemented, or router logs.

Most everyone here is saying theirs aren't hooked up either way and they are seeing the flashing. Has anyone experiencing the flashing bothered to hookup a phone line?