1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Record two shows and watch using Sling?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Jeff1242, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Jeff1242

Jeff1242 New Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Hey guys!

I've searched for a little while and couldn't find anything to confirm a question I have. I've got a 722 and can currently record two shows (TV1 and TV2), then also watch something that was previously recorded on either TV. I'm now looking to purchase a Sling adapter so I can stream some of my recorded shows to my computer. My question is: Will I be able to record two shows at once WHILE watching something that I've previously recorded over the Sling adapter (like I do with my TV's right now)? Some of the online resources I've found make it seem like this may not work. I'm hoping someone here with a Sling Adapter can point me in the right direction. Thanks!

2. Todd Nicholson

Todd Nicholson AllStar

Jan 7, 2007
    Nope, that's not possible. When the Sling Adapter is Activated via your PC or phone, the receiver automatically switches to Single Mode and uses the 2nd tuner output to Sling.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    What does that have to do with recording two (or even three) programs and watching a previously recorded program? A free satellite tuner is NOT required to watch recorded content.

4. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    Yes, it is possible with a 722. Works no different then it would when watching it on the TV. Since all of the outputs of the 722 are active, you just hook the Sling to the one that is not being used and you can view the recorded programming.

BTW, you can actually record 3 shows while watching a recorded program. The tuners are Sat #1, Sat #2 and OTA.

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Correction... It switches to "Dual mode"... not single mode... when you activate Sling remotely.

Also... I have seen others say they can watch a DVR recording while 2 tuners are being used to record. I haven't tried on my 922, but the results might not apply to a 722 + sling adapter.

6. MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 6, 2011
    I'm pretty sure that you won't be able to do this. The sling adapter takes over the TV2 feed by design, so it would likely interrupt any recording that is going on there. I think it will work if 1 show is being recorded off TV1, and another off OTA, this leaves the TV2 feed open for sling

And the receiver does switch to Dual mode when slinging.

7. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    If you buy a slingbox, it will do whatever you can do without it. (watch what is recording, or what has already recorded, or live, etc....) It also will allow you to watch in your home to a computer or another TV, without using the internet. I am thinking the sling adapter can't do that. The significance is, (If I am right) aside from not using the bandwidth, a far superior picture.

8. Todd Nicholson

Todd Nicholson AllStar

Jan 7, 2007
    Sorry, I meant when the Sling adapter is activated, the receiver will switch to DUAL mode (not single mode). I mistyped:( And since the Sling adapter utilizes the TV2 feed, when the sling adapter is in use, you can't record from this tuner. You're left with one tuner (or two if you have OTA tuner). It doesn't matter if you're watching live tv or something recorded. The sling adapter is using the 2nd tuner (TV2 feed) when it's activated.

9. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    That's probably points in favor of the standalone Slingbox... though points for the Sling adapter have been it costing $0 after the rebate offer they had recently... so free with some limitations, or spend money for more features I guess.

10. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    My Slingbox PRO HD does allow me to run the 722 based on its original design. And it uses Sling Media software for connection which apparently has some advantages over Dish's version.

But currently at Amazon its $260 - a bit more than the free offer like an Adapter for the 722.