1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording a later show of a season pass

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by phatmatt1215, Jun 12, 2009.

1. phatmatt1215

phatmatt1215 Icon

Nov 4, 2007
    I have a season pass set up to record a show at 9 P.M. The same episode of that show is replayed at 1 A.M. Is there a way to set the DVR to always record the 1 A.M. episode? Thanks in advance.

2. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Delete the season pass. Then go to the one in the guide at 1am and hit record twice on it. It will grab that one.

3. phatmatt1215

phatmatt1215 Icon

Nov 4, 2007
    That didn't seem to work, unless it takes a while to take effect. When I hit the record button twice it grabbed the early showing on every instance of the show.

4. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Is this on a OTA station regular station or DNS feed station?

5. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Worse case, you could go in to the to do list and delete out the earlier ones for the next two weeks and it will grab the later one.

6. phatmatt1215

phatmatt1215 Icon

Nov 4, 2007
    Regular station (TruTV)

7. phatmatt1215

phatmatt1215 Icon

Nov 4, 2007
    Good point... Forgot about doing that.

8. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Sucks that you may have to do that but at least its an option. You would only have to look once every 2 weeks. I will toy around with it myself if you let me know the show and see if I can get it to work another way.

9. phatmatt1215

phatmatt1215 Icon

Nov 4, 2007
    The show is "Forensic Files" on TruTV Channel 246 on D*

10. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Well I only see one first run scheduled and 49 episodes that have alrady aired. Are you interested in all episodes or only the new ones? Another choice is instead of setting a season pass to go in and click on episodes and then hit record on the specific episodes you want.

I understand this is a backwards way of doing it but thats what you run into when you record previously aired episodes. I just went through it with Cold Case on TNT.

11. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Part of where you are running into problems is that it has all different times for the 49 already aired episodes. If you only want new then its real simple just change your recording to say first run only. If you are interested in them all then you will have to come up with some other plan or just record them all.

12. kenkahn

kenkahn Cool Member

Apr 27, 2008
    The only way I have found to make sure a season pass records at a specific time and not pick up an earlier time slot is to set a manual pass. As long as the time of the second showing doesn't change from week to week this works fine.

13. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I do that too with shows that have more than one showing in a day.

14. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    This is the answer to the OP (unfortunately). The Season Pass will always pick up the first instance of the episode, unless there are conflicts (on the HR / R22 series) then it will look for the next showing. I don't know if the R15/16 has that same conflict resolution feature.

15. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Consider setting a manual timer for the channel and time slot that you want.

16. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    When shows have multiple showings I just always make sure they are at the bottom of my prioritizer. That way as long as other shows that would be in that same time slot are higher in the prioritizer, it will have to record the later show.

17. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Thats not true. I have been recording the later episode of Deadliest Catch each week for some reason. I dont have other things recording at that time but it always grabs the later episode.

18. phatmatt1215

phatmatt1215 Icon

Nov 4, 2007
    If the shows are set to record the earlier episode and I delete them and press record for the later episode (the 3 circle record icon shows up). If I do that for 2 or 3 weeks in a row, will the DVR get the clue that I want the later episodes recorded and EVENTUALLY start recording the later ones?

19. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Always worth a shot.

20. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm moving this to the HD DVR forum, which I should have done a couple days ago... my apologies.

I do not think there's any sort of predictive logic in the DVRs. in other words it will not learn to record the later show just because you force it to record the later one a few weeks in a row.