1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording back to back programs

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by sjm992, Jun 16, 2008.

1. sjm992

sjm992 AllStar

Jan 14, 2004
    My 622 recently lost the ability to set up timers for back to back programs - I have to choose one or the other unless I adjust the start and finish times. Any idea how I can get this feature back? I'm in single user mode.
    Stuart

2. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Can you explain further? What is your Start Time and End Time settings? You may need to adjust that if you're still using the default.

3. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    However, in Single Mode as long as another event is not also being recorded, if there is a conflict in Start/End times the second tuner should record one of the back to back events.

4. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Legend

May 8, 2006
    Removing the "padding" time on the timers should fix it. This didn't used to be necessary, but there was a backslide in a recent software release that crippled things.

5. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Can we get more details on this?

6. Jeff_DML

Jeff_DML Legend

Feb 12, 2008
    yeah this is kind of annoying, SW should be smart enough to know if back to back on the same channel then allow it to record. Especially if you are using the ATSC tuner since there is only 1.

7. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    Its still not necessary with the default pads. Of course for some shows I have changed the Pads (ABC, for example, has a tendency to start and add some shows not on the hour. Occassionally when I show I have selected moves a show to be right after one of the shows that I changed the pad, I see the problems that the OP mentioned. If you have the time it pays each day to check your "schedule" to see if any shows you want are being shown as skipped, and make the necessary adjustments.

8. sjm992

sjm992 AllStar

Jan 14, 2004
    That fixed it! I took a couple of minutes out of the padding, thanks for your help. All the same, it used to know that they were back to back and just record them.

9. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Legend

May 8, 2006
    It has been for me, and apparently others. If you haven't run into that yet, I hope you never do! (Are you on 5.1x yet?)

10. garyhesq

garyhesq AllStar

Nov 4, 2004
    This problem has become an issue for me with L6.16 on my 722. Has anyone been experiencing this with the latest software release?

11. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Can you provide more steps. I have a lot of timers that are set back to back and I am not having the issue. Can you provide steps where you see this? Need more details.

12. garyhesq

garyhesq AllStar

Nov 4, 2004
    Sure, Monday nights I record CBS for all the sitcoms through the evening all in a row. Plus I have two other shows set to record at different times on other channels. One at 8 and another at 9. Since the new software, the CBS shows I had set to record came up with X's except the first show of the evening. There was a conflict with the rest of the shows on CBS with each other and the other 2 shows on the different channels. I had to edit the start and finish time on the rest of the CBS shows so they did not start early or end late. It should have just used one tuner to record the whole series and the other tuner to record the other stations set at 8 and 9. What it was trying to do was switch between tuner 1 and 2 as the CBS shows changed. I had never had that problem before.

13. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    What was your padding on your Timers? What is set to the default of 3 minutes or some other value?

14. garyhesq

garyhesq AllStar

Nov 4, 2004
    One minute before and 5 minutes late. I tried changing the end time to one minute and it didn't fix it.

15. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Try a test and change it to 1 and 3 I believe. That is the defaults and see if that helps. Something is odd here. My understanding is that if you leave it at the defaults then it will do the back to back properly. If you change the padding it won't.

Someone correct me if I am wrong. Is this how it worked pre 6.16?

16. kucharsk

kucharsk Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    No DVR I've ever seen or used - 622/722, TiVo, Elgato EyeTV software - knows that two back-to-back programs can be recorded on the same tuner; I suspect because it's because there's no way for the software to duplicate recordings.

For example, say House is set to record on Fox from 7:58 to 9:02, and 24 is set to record from 8:58 to 10:02.

There's no way for the DVR to duplicate the overlap so that 8:58 to 9:02 appears in both recordings without using two tuners to do it.

17. garyhesq

garyhesq AllStar

Nov 4, 2004
    I tried what Ron suggested and it worked. As soon as I tried to just add padding the timer failed. I deleted them and recreated with 1 minute before and 3 after and all is well. I'm not sure how the originals got set to record 5 min after but it's not set that way now and all is well.

18. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    FWIW, the DirecTV boxes do exactly what you describe above by default, in case you want to make a new feature request.

They schedule consecutive recordings on the same channel on the same tuner and auto-pad the first recording's end-time by 90 seconds and the second recording's start-time by 30 seconds.

You can also increase the extent of the overlap by padding manually.

/steve

19. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    The receiver specifically checks for the 1/3 pad and then knows it can use the same tuner for two recordings. If you change the default pad to something other than 1/3 it fails the test and different tuners are required. At least that's the way it has always worked in the past.

20. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    DirecTV user here, curious how the Dish default 1/3 padding works. I assume that padding is conditional? I.e., only if it won't cause a conflict with a recording in the previous or next time slot?

And if so, is it adaptive? Will it automatically drop down to 1/1 or 1/2, if that's all that's needed to avoid a conflict?

TIA for the explanation. /steve