1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording from HR2X

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by byrdpack, Nov 27, 2008.

1. byrdpack

byrdpack AllStar

Jan 17, 2007
    If I buy a DVD Recorder, will I be able to record things from my HR2X onto a dvd? Will it record in HD? Thanks for any help.

2. Dr. Booda

Dr. Booda Godfather

Jun 18, 2007
    I use the following path for SD only. The HD path is more expensive and perhaps not even possible.

S-Video & RCA audio out --> Plextor A/D Converter --> Nero --> DVD

3. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    1. yes u can record.
    2. but not record in HD.

use s-video connection (also audio hookups too) from dvr right into dvd recorder and dont record more than 2 hours on a dvd or the picture quality gets really bad.

i still record the HD channels so u still get the widescreen picture....obviously doesnt record in HD quality but still looks very good & better than recording SD channel.

4. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    No such thing as an HD DVD recorder outside of Japan.

5. byrdpack

byrdpack AllStar

Jan 17, 2007
    Thanks so much for the replies!

One more question: When I am recording from DVR to DVD, does it take for a 2-hour movie, 2 hours to burn?

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Yes, it's "real time". So a two hour show takes two hours to record to your DVD Recorder.

7. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    When I record to a DVD recorder I just set it up before going out or before going to bed. That way I don't accidentally mess up the recording.

8. mogulman

mogulman Godfather

Mar 19, 2007
    You could get a Hauppauge HD PVR. It hooks up to a PC. It has Component inputs and can record 1080i.

Once it is recorded onto the PC, then you could burn it to a DVD or Blu-Ray.

9. russdog

russdog Godfather

Jul 31, 2006
    That's not true.
    You can get a Blu-Ray burner if you want to. We're now starting to them even in laptops.
    The blank media for HD Blu-Ray costs a fortune, but you can do it if you want to.

Right.
    Just to clarify: burning to DVD will be SD, while burning to Blu-Ray can be HD.

10. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I thought the OP was just talking about copying from his DVR directly to a DVD recorder and not going through a computer, and there aren't any stand alone DVD recorders that can do that. You are right that it can be done if you have the money and the expertise.

11. Tyrod

Tyrod AllStar

Nov 1, 2006
    BD media can be had for $4 - 5$ a disc now

However, mini HD-DVDs can be made with standard DVDs. Short recordings can be stored on one disc, but longer recordings would have to stored over many discs

12. vurbano

vurbano Godfather

May 15, 2004
    How does one hook up a BD burner to the HR20 or HR21 and burn HD?

13. ecrabb

ecrabb Cool Member

Aug 5, 2003
    You don't. You capture HD with a computer, then use piece of software that will transcode and prepare the video and format the disc for playback in BD player. Not terribly difficult if you're a computer person, but not something even most techie types would be interested in to save a few episodes of "Weeds" or something.

SC