1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording more than set series?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by crawdad62, Apr 25, 2012.

1. crawdad62

crawdad62 Godfather

Jul 16, 2008
    I have a couple of programs that are old shows (no new first runs) and have them set to record as a series. I set them up to only keep 2 mainly because these programs are shown multiple times a day and I don't want to fill the DVR up with them. It works but even though it only keeps two it records them all which sometimes causes conflicts. I must be missing something when setting them up. Is there something that allows the series to record and only record is there's not my allotted two but do nothing if there's two un-viewed in my list?

2. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Move the series to the bottom of your series manager and it will no longer cause conflicts with any of your other recordings.

Also, if the program has proper guide information it should only record each episode once, but it will record it agian 30 days after you delete it. For example if you record episode 10 on monday and it repeats all week it will only record it once. After you watch it it still wont record episode 10 again if it shows next week. However if episode 10 airs again 2 months later it will record it then (it only remember which episodes it has recorded and deleted for 30 days).

3. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007

4. crawdad62

crawdad62 Godfather

Jul 16, 2008

5. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Keep at most 2, will record and keep the most recent two airings.

6. Burt

Burt AllStar

Jul 14, 2005
    I just upgraded two of my TVs to HD. When I upgraded the first, D* sent me an HR23. I hate it. It is so slow, it's difficult to believe D* released it.

When I got the second TV, I requested an HR24, knowing that they would send me what ever they dug up first. Of course they sent an HR22.

I called them and asked them to send me a different receiver, again hoping for an HR24. Of course they sent another HR22.

So here is my current situation.

I have:

1 HR23 working as well as it is going to work on my high priority TV. (TV 1)
    1 HR20 working well on a low priority set. (TV 2)
    1 SD DVR that was on the medium priority set that is getting replaced by a new HD TV. (TV 3)

I hate the HR23.

I also have 2 HR22s that I haven't activated yet, one of which will have to go on the new medium priority TV.

Two of these DVRs are going to have to go back to D*. The down side of returning the HR23 is that I will lose about 60 hours of recorded programming. I will also lose half the recording time if I keep the HR20 (Not a big deal. My son uses that one and he is happy with it. He watches too much TV, anyway.:))

Here is the big question: Is the HR22 significantly faster than the HR23. I think I am willing to lose my programming if I can get reasonable speed out of the HR22.

This would leave me with the following.

TV 1: HR22
    TV 2: HR22
    TV 3: HR20

If I haven't confused the hell out of everyone, any advice would be much appreciated.

Oh, did I mention, I hate the HR23?

Thanks,

Burt

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    This should be in its own thread i think, but only real difference between them is the 23 doesn't need BBCs in a non SWM setup.

8. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I believe they are equal.

9. Burt

Burt AllStar

Jul 14, 2005
    Yeah, I just realized I posted in the wrong thread. Anyway, thanks for the response. I was afraid that would be the answer.

Gonna move to a different thread.

10. Burt

Burt AllStar

Jul 14, 2005
    Thanks for the response. Bad news. <sigh>

11. Eben

Eben Legend

Sep 10, 2007
    Can you use Keep Until I Delete in the series settings? Wouldn't that prevent the additional recordings?

12. crawdad62

crawdad62 Godfather

Jul 16, 2008
    I don't know but that makes sense. I'll give it a try.

13. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    That won't do it. Iit will still roll off, as the "keep only 2 episodes" take priority over the "keep until I delete".

Unfortunately, there is no way to do what you would like. However, as has been previously suggested, place it lowest in the priority list to prevent it bumping recordings. if it interrupts live TV, just answer the prompt with cancel the recording.

14. crawdad62

crawdad62 Godfather

Jul 16, 2008
    Rats! Okay well thanks everyone.