1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording problem

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Andrew Sullivan, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Jan 4, 2018 #1 of 27
    Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Member

Dec 7, 2017
    In setting up my recordings on my new 17 (replacing a 54). When I set Around the Horn to record at 3pm on channel 206 for new sessions only it also sets it up to record at 4pm on channel 207. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling with no avail.

2. Jan 4, 2018 #2 of 27
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Are you doing it through the guide (pressing record Twice) or are you doing all seasons?

3. Jan 4, 2018 #3 of 27
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Let it sort it out over a few days. You may be stuck to be honest depending on how it’s noted in the guide data. Is it listed as generic news program or does it have more specific data?

edoubleu321 likes this.
  4. Jan 4, 2018 #4 of 27
    Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Member

Dec 7, 2017
    I have tried setting it up both ways with the same results. I have had the 17 now for about 6 week. I went out of town for two weeks and removed several of my recording instructions. When I came back 2 days ago I am faced with this new problem. I never had this problem with the 54 nor did I originally with the 17. Seems strange that a command to record on one channel can be misconstrued to have it record on a second channel as well.

5. Jan 4, 2018 #5 of 27
    ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    If you have the new interface, this is the new normal.

6. Jan 4, 2018 #6 of 27
    Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Then I assume that we all find the New Normal to be unacceptable? I certainly do.

7. Jan 5, 2018 #7 of 27
    inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    The new normal is to record the program from any “source” ie channel and if you set it to record first run then you will only get first run episodes. Problem as you have seen is that some shows do not denote first run, like this particular show. It’s not even listed as a news program and it’s info is completely generic for every episode. (I just looked) However, I have a way for you to get around it for this specific show. Create an auto record for a smart search with the following string and make sure you spell aall and cchans they I have, as that is important. That will limit it to recording the show on just the one channel. Also set for first run in recording options as you normally would, but that won’t actually make a difference with this show. Part of the issue is, the DVR has no way of knowing the show on 206 and 207 are the same or different. I blame broadcasters for not having better info on shows for things like this.

I also blame DIRECTV for not giving us a simple option to record on a specific channel or on all channels.

I would recommend you use the boolean setup I showed, but also call and complain to DIRECTV that the new GUI is bad because you can’t set anything to record on a specific channel, only from all channels and it gives you multiple recordings of the same show on multiple channels, and give them this exact show as a reference. The more people who complain about it the better.

Of course with that said, honestly, one extra episode of this show really shouldn’t be a problem. But that is also not the point imho.

Anyway, here is the boolean search you should use to create an auto record and end the issue.

AALL AROUND THE HORN CCHANS 206

8. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Member

Dec 7, 2017
    The tech came out and found a loose cable to fix a particular problem. I mentioned the recording problem and he blamed it on the newest update. He then forced the old download and even though the new gui is attractive but the old one solved the problem. Now this morning the new gui is back.

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Receivers are programmed to look every night for new software and if it fins it, it is then downloaded and installed.

10. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Tech wasn't very educated as he should never revert you back to old software. It will always re-download the new and could cause your receiver to become a "brick" by going back.

11. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    If you set it to record with the old GUI though, it would also have been tied to one channel on the new GUI... it wouldn’t alter what you set it up with the old GUI. You just can’t create a new recording with the new GUI like you could with the old GUI.

12. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Maybe not but this situation is totally unacceptable. The very basic premise of any recording device, especially one as sophisticated and supposedly cutting edge as the Genie 2, should be to record what is requested. Nothing more and nothing less. This is a step backwards in user friendliness. I want to record "Pardon the Interruption" on channel 206 every afternoon. So now it's also being recorded on channel 206 and 207 and channel 209 which I then have to go in and delete every day. For lack of a more sophisticated phrase, this is just stupid.

13. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I do not have one of these but,
    after you double press the orange record button,
    go to the Series Options,
    What options are there ? Can you take a picture of that screen and post it ?
    Thanks

14. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Member

Dec 7, 2017
    I cannot take a picture but the options are as always. I choose "Record Series" then "First Runs Only" then "Record Series" then "OK". I THEN

No picture but the option page is as it always is. I hit series options, record series, fist run only, record, OK. Then on the guide it is set to record on all channels. I've done this same exact thing a hundred times on the old gui.

15. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Yeah, that’s because they are series but they are news series so they have no unique I’d for each episode, so as far as the genie is concerned they are all different and there for need to be recorded.

If you watch it everyday, I see two options.. set record keep on this series to 1, and you will only have the latest recording... so you dint need to keep deleting anything. Other options is to use a boolean auto record...

AALL PARDON THE INTERRUPTION CCHANS 206

That will make it only r cord from channel 206.

But yeah, I’d call and complain...

16. jrsac

jrsac New Member

Aug 23, 2014
    I have the same issue. Recordings being made from national CBS channel I do not receive 390. I have local channel but the HS17 will not record it. I didn't know until tonight I was missing recordings. Appreciate the help on the forum. I will try the Boolean search option. Does anyone know if this is being worked on by the company?

17. jrsac

jrsac New Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Appears to be wider spread than two channels CBS and FOX. I am seeing ABC trying to record 397 instead of local. Could be any then I guess

18. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    This is a problem with the new UI, which only allows recording by series not by episode. Lots of people including me with the same issue. It's a bug...

19. Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers Godfather

Jan 14, 2008
    Metro-Atlanta

Bug = poorly written, poorly tested and poorly managed software.

20. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Question:
    If the search to record is based on "Channels I Get" and we all know the "Channels I Get" is flawed, is this a GUI or a "Channels I Get " problem ?