1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording problems

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Fenway, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fenway

Fenway Legend

Aug 24, 2007
    I don't have the time, or patience, to search this entire forum to see if our problem has already been discussed. If someone knows that it has, feel free to point me in the right direction.

We have an R15-100. My husband set it to record several shows on Wednesday late afternoons while he is working. When he went to watch them, he found nothing - and the machine was set to record the same shows, at the same times one week later.

We reset the machine, and reprogrammed for today's episodes. I went to check a bit ago and nothing was being recorded. Once again, the machine had moved the recording info one week ahead - to 2/6.

Has anyone had this or a similar experience? Is there a solution?

2. Igor

Igor Godfather

Jan 3, 2005
    You should verify if the show is a REPEAT and your recording option is set for FIRST RUN only. The reverse can also cause issues, if the show is a FIRST RUN and your recording default is REPEAT.

I normally leave my default to "BOTH", this way both REPEAT and FIRST RUN are recorded.

3. Fenway

Fenway Legend

Aug 24, 2007
    Ours is set for "BOTH" - so that is not the problem. Any other possibilities?

4. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    There is a lot of speculation about missed recordings because the guide data seems to be incomplete. If the episode that was used to set your SL was affiliated with the coding for a series, then it should work fine. But if the coding was not there or all other instances of the series have generic info like: "police detectives and District Attorneys pursue criminals and close cases" then the DVR does not recognize those episodes as part of the series.

Another problem is a show that appears on multiple channels, like Law & Order, can only have 1 SL on 1 channel. And lastly, if it is a show that is on daily, like kids shows on PBS and Nik, etc, those SLs never work.

Also, is there a chance that the title of the episode the was first used as the SL has been moved each week so the DVR is looking for that specifc title?

You might try removing the SL and then finding the series in the guide again. Instead of pressing the R button twice, press enter on the highlighted program. The recording menu should come up and you can try setting it again from there.

Sorry for your inconvenience. BTW - which shows are not working? That might give a bit more insight.

5. Fenway

Fenway Legend

Aug 24, 2007

He records programs on 606 – Outdoor channel. The problem only surfaced within the past 2-3 weeks.

He chose a show on Tuesday 1/22 @ 1330 – when he went to watch, the show had not recorded and the DVR was set to record the same show one week later, 1/29. It didn’t record then either, and reset itself for the next week.

He uses the guide to pick a show. Goes forward to the date and time he wants, hits record. It does show up on his future list.

The other days, times and shows –
    Wednesday -
    1600 – Shooting Gallery
    1630 – Shooting USA
    1700 – Sighting in with shooting USA
    1730 – Guns & Ammo TV
    1900 – Personal Defense TV

All of the above were originally scheduled for 1/23/08. ON the following day he discovered they had not recorded, but were set for 1/30/08. Yesterday, the 30th, the first show did not start to record, and when I checked they were all changed to next Wednesday, 2/6/08.

These shows do not appear on any other channel that we are aware of. They are on weekly. He never chooses to have it recorded as a series – just one by one.

6. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    Is it possible that the Outdoor Network changes the name of the program in the guide from a generic name to a specific episode name.

I discovered this problem when trying to record College Football on ABC on Saturday afternoons.

I would know that I wanted to record the Army-Pittsburgh game at 3 pm, for example. On Monday, I would find "College Football" in the guide on Saturday at 3, and press the record button to schedule it to record. Around Wednesday, ABC would update the guide data to include the actual names of the teams playing. So instead of "College Football" airing on Saturday at 3, now "College Football: Army vs Pittsburgh" would be airing. To the R15, this is a different program, since it has a different name. But the R15 would look ahead and see that the next week there was a show called "College Football", and it would assume that the show moved, and schedule the next week to record.

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Fenway:

When you say the shows appear in the Future list, are you referring to the ToDo list? Also, what does the History show regarding these episodes that aren't being recorded?

I think Upstream might have hit it on the mark with his explanation. I have seen his issue come up before with some shows I've tried to record.

- Merg

8. Fenway

Fenway Legend

Aug 24, 2007
    Anything is possible, but looking ahead in the guide the show at 1600 on Wednesday is always listed as Shooting Gallery; the show at 1330 on Tuesday is always Ted Nugent in the Spirit of the Wild.

Yes, I mean the ToDo List. The history shows that the Wednesday recording for 1/23 were cancelled – and Douglas would not have done that. And I don’t use that TV. And we have no kids in the house.

The shows for yesterday got recorded only because I went down to check on the situation. The 1630 show was not going when I got there, so I started the recording, and then hit R for all his other choices. I did not check to see if they said cancel – never thought about it.

I picked a show on that channel to record tomorrow – will see if it goes through. In the meantime, will welcome any other ideas, comments.

9. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Check the HISTORY list (MENU/SETTINGS/SCHEDULER/HISTORY). If the shows your husband scheduled to record are listed with NOT RECORDED next to them, there is something wrong with your DVR. This message only occurs if the unit TRIED to record the shows but couldn't. An example would be a power failure during the time period when the shows were scheduled to record.

If the problem is with the guide data, or the unit cancels the recording itself, the shows won't appear in the history list at all. Let us know what you find and then we'll give you a few more things to try based on your detective work! :)

10. Fenway

Fenway Legend

Aug 24, 2007
    As I stated in my previous post, the shows he had set to record were listed in history as canceled. He didn't, and I didn't, and there is no one else in the house who would cancel them.

And they were not only canceled, but re-scheduled to record the following week. i.e. - the shows scheduled to record on 1/23/08 were subsequently scheduled for recording on 1/31/08. But they didn't record then either.

11. Supramom2000

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I just took a look at the shows you are trying to record. I looked at next Wednesday. I went to them in the guide, then pressed info and then pressed episodes. Each of those shows had multiple showings, several for the same day and some for the next week. If the episode info showed that many instances of each show, then the DVR has trouble distinguishing what and when to record. I would equate this problem to the one we have with Noggin, Nik, Disney and PBS when we try to record shows like Dora, Diego, Thomas, Curious George, etc.

Even when I have episode type set to "both" - they are rarely recorded - I believe because those episodes have been recorded at some point already. They show the same set of episodes over and over again. Since the shows your husband is recording do not have individual episode names, the DVR cannot distinguish which episodes to record and which have been recorded (if any). The best work around is to set up a manual record of those shows for weekly.

Sorry for not really having an answer, just a work around.

12. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    That sounds more as if the Guide Data changed forcing the DVR to cancel the upcoming recording and rescheduling it.

Regarding the name of the show, what is being referred to is the name of the episode and not the show itself. For example, when looking at an upcoming epsiode of Law & Order in the guide the episode description might say "Police officers and district attorneys arrest and proscecute criminals" and episode title would just be a generic "Law & Order". Yet a day before the episode airs, the guide information gets updated to be that the show is "A dentist is attacked and a twist surprises everyone in court". In this case the name of episode would also be updated.

As you specifically told the DVR to record the one episode with the former description and generic title, when the information was changed the DVR updated itself to find the next scheduled viewing of the episode you wanted recorded. Since the guide for next week still had the generic information for the episode, the DVR thinks that is the episode you wanted to record and thus the cycle continues.

Check the full episode description and title of the show you are currently scheduled to record. To see this use the Search option on the show as that is the only way you'll be able to see the episode titles as well. Then right before the show is about to air, perform the search again and see if anything has changed.

- Merg

13. qwerty

qwerty Hall Of Fame

Feb 19, 2006
    History isn't all that helpfull. It'll say canceled if you watched the show then deleted it.

14. Fenway

Fenway Legend

Aug 24, 2007
    Okay - but he did not watch the show because it did not record. And the shows were re-scheduled for the following week - and not by Douglas.

Perhaps we have ghosts, though the house is hardly old enough for that.

15. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    It does that if you watch it while it is in the Live Buffer and then delete it when finished. Since you never changed the channel, it was never truely written to the DVR so it shows as canceled.

- Merg

16. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    Fenway -- as a work-around, maybe you can try a manual (time-based, not program-based record) so it records the block of time the show will air. It is not as easy a just pressing (R) in the Guide, but at least it will record the programs.

17. Fenway

Fenway Legend

Aug 24, 2007
    I'm not sure I know what you mean with this. Don't you always have to pick a show to record? If you can chose a time block that would be great, but I don't know how.

18. Supramom2000

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Go to "menu" - "settings" - "scheduler" - "manual".

I think the reason your husband's shows keep getting postponed is because each episode does not have a title. Under "info", there is just the name of the show, not an individual episode name. That same name shows up each week, so the reciever thinks it is being rescheduled each week. I think you said that he set the shows to record with one R, not as a series link (pressing R twice). You might try pressing the R twice and then checking the To Do List to see if that changes the schedule to record each week. If the shows are set to record as a series instead of an individual episode, it should not look to see if the show is the same for every episode. Also set the recording type to "both" instead of "first run".

19. Fenway

Fenway Legend

Aug 24, 2007
    Thanks - we will give that a try. I knew nothing about this work-around, and can use it for a few other things with our HR20 also.

20. qwerty

qwerty Hall Of Fame

Feb 19, 2006
    Nope! I recorded the Spurs/Suns game last night. Before I started watching, I made sure the "active tuner" was on another channel to avoid the "please wait" bug (discussed in another thread). I caught up to live at the start of the 4th quarter, turned it off, and watched the rest in the bedroom. This morning, before I posted, I deleted it to verify I was correct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.