Recording to DVD via Laptop

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by kajpin, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kajpin

kajpin New Member

May 8, 2007
    I have searched the forums and can't seem to find quite the right answer to this, so bear with me here.

We have a propensity of stacking up a LOT of programming...so after one week with the HR20 and HD we have already hit 50% capacity! So it is time to find a way to save programs for later viewing on dvd. I realize I can't save away HD quality on dvd, but hopefully if I pair a great upconverting dvd player with my 1080p tv the PQ won't be that degraded.

Anyway, the question is...what is the easiest way to transfer/capture video from previously recorded shows/movies on my laptop to burn to dvd?

As I understand it you can't just copy the recorded file but have to capture the feed real time. Generally I'm ok with this...albeit unnecessarily difficult, but what do I need on my laptop to capture the video/audio feed out of the dvr?

Thanks in advance

K

2. chris89c

chris89c Cool Member

Mar 9, 2007
    You would need a usb video capture device. But I have been using a $98 DVD recorder from walmart with very good results. The model is a RCA DRC8052N I could not find it on the walmart site but I think they still carry them in the stores.

3. quadriplegicjon

quadriplegicjon New Member

Jun 12, 2007

what about just saving them to your computers harddrive as a backup. is that possible?

4. TampaGator

TampaGator New Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Good question...is there no way to archive recorded material, (especially HD) to another medium?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.