Recording two HDR 4K channels simultaneously

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by William Ross, Oct 22, 2019.

1. William Ross

William Ross New Member

Oct 22, 2019
    For those with DirecTV (AT&T) that are getting 4K HDR. Can you record 2 HDR shows simultaneously (or use Double Play to go between 2 HDR shows)? I contacted support and they said it is possible. I cannot get it to work. (Watching baseball (go Stros) and foot ball simultaneously.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    What DIRECTV equipment do you have? The HR54 works with one 4K stream at once. The HS17 works with two 4K streams at once. Both need a C61K-700 client for 4K service.

3. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    The last time I tried to watch 4K while I was also recording 4K (The Masters was carried on two 4K channels (105 & 106) at the same time and it would not let me do that so I would guess the answer is no. I have the HR54 and one C61K though so maybe the HS17 does allow it.

4. Gary Toma

Gary Toma UNIX

Mar 22, 2006
    You need to upgrade to an HS17 to get the functionality you are looking for.

dtv757 and compnurd like this.
  5. longhorn23

longhorn23 Member

Jan 19, 2019
    I know this will be hard to believe but I've had a few times where I was able to record two 4k programs at the same time or watch one 4k recording live and record another one. Most times it has not allowed me to do this on the Hr54. A few weekends ago there were four 4k games on at the same time plus the regular 4K programming you see on channel 104. So I had my the genie to record the LSU Florida game in 4k from 7-10pm because that was the first ESPN 4k broadcast and I was really interested to see how good their broadcast would look. And from 6:30-7pm, I set a manual recording of the minn/neb game. During the manual recording, I was able to also tune to the Notre Dame game in 4k which was already live and also tune to the MLB game and LSU/Florida game. (MLB Game and LSU Florida game didnt officially start so it just had the 4k screensaver stating that the games would start soon). I was also able to tune to channel 104 during this manual recording. I was confused because normally I was not able to record two 4k programs at the same time or record 1 while watching another one live. So I tried recording channel 104 during the same time as the manual recording of the Minn/Nebraska game and it worked. I was able to record two programs at the same time. Maybe the trick is to have one of them as a manual recording? Not really sure but I remember being able to do this one or two other times as well. But it is rare and usually not possible.

6. William Ross

William Ross New Member

Oct 22, 2019
    Thanks all. I have the HR54 so only one 4K stream. Of course I got bad info from the AT&T support person.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I don't see any technical problem to record many UHD channels by ANY DVR as they are fit in max number of tuner eg transponders.
    Transmit to UHD client(s) by MoCA is different task !

8. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    Works on my genie 2 system

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk