Recordings transfer to EHD and now recordings on both Hopper 3 and EHD

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by muttly63, Sep 26, 2020.

1. muttly63

muttly63 New Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Here's what happened. My Hopper 3 has been randomly rebooting lately, so I decided I'd better transfer all of the recordings I wanted to keep to an EHD in case the Hopper is going bad. Today I transferred a number of recordings, but all of a sudden the transfer process got stuck with 6 items left to go. After waiting a while and also trying to stop the transfer, I checked the EHD and found it had no activity at all, so I disconnected it from the Hopper and I had to reboot it. When I rebooted the Hopper and reconnected the EHD I found that all of the items I transferred were now on the Hopper and they are also on the EHD.

The recordings seem to play from either device, but I don't know if it's safe to actually put the Hopper copies in the trash. I did try it with one TV episode and the EHD copy did still play, so I'm assuming all of the copies on the EHD are good.

Has anyone else had this happen? I never had this happen when I had a 722.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    buggy FW and glitchy HW could make more problematic actions than your;
    I would live happy with your outcome;
    practically what you did it was sort of hacking, no biggy to worry

major point would be - the often freezing H3 must be tested (at least HDD by run short/long SMART tests) and most likely replaced

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The transfer didn't complete so the originals hadn't been deleted yet. There is a chance that one or more of the EHD recordings is corrupt.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    only one could be - the transfer is sequential process

5. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The file transfer is one at a time but the destination filesystem may have been corrupted and that could take a greater toll.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    the files system is journaling kind, so I wouldn't pressing here too hard ;)

7. muttly63

muttly63 New Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Thank you both for the info. Since I have the copies still on the hopper, maybe I’ll retransfer them to another EHD just in case the first copies did get corrupted.

8. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    I have found from way back that transferring a large number of recordings at the same time often fails and has to be redone piecemeal.

9. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Do you know for certain that DISH DVRs do indeed maintain and rebuild from journals?

The feature is optional and turning it off can improve performance. Given how often we hear about EHDs not being recognized, I'm mostly convinced that they don't.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I'm far away from home to see if it implemented in latest version of FW... but let me check my old HDDs from various dish DVRs...

11. OneMarcilV

OneMarcilV New Member

Jul 23, 2020
    True. So long as you have plenty of room on your internal hard drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. OneMarcilV

OneMarcilV New Member

Jul 23, 2020
    Before I upgraded to my Hopper 3 I transferred all my recordings that were on the the original hopper to my external hard drive. There were quite a few programmes that transferred without any problems.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020 at 4:17 PM
  13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    we are talking about HUNDRED and THOUSAND recording's transfer to EHD

14. OneMarcilV

OneMarcilV New Member

Jul 23, 2020
    I am cure I had more than 100 recordings that I transferred.