1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Redundant channels & Programming

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by Terry K, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Terry K

Terry K Legend

Sep 13, 2006
    I've been flipping through the D* guide and notice more and more the same crap showing up on every channel. For example, I found Cheers in my guide on no less than 4 channels (Reelz(?), Hallmark, HDNet, and WGN)

That 70s show on Nick Teen and ABC Family.

Golden Girls on 2 channels (Hallmark & We)

Walker Texas Ranger making the rounds of WGN and CLOO, AT THE SAME TIME!
    now A&E's brand of reality crap is showing up on lifetime, and let's not mention how many channels have Roseanne reruns.

Why do I need 300 channels if they're all airing the same damn shows? Havent the idiots running <your favorite cable channel> figured out yet that they need to have something unique instead of shows that are already airing somewhere else?

(None of the shows I've listed are airing on *related* networks either!)

On a side note its kinda refreshing not to find the Simpsons on ANY cable network!

2. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    It's only a matter of time. My guess is The Simpson's will show up on cable (and numerous outlets at that) somewhere around 5 years after the show ends.

3. mystic7

mystic7 Icon

Dec 9, 2007
    I've noticed even Planet Green and Animal Planet are starting to become "All Paranormal, Almost All the Time", with the same shows that Travel and Bio used to run into the ground every week. In fact I think there's only one episode of Paranormal Cops that gets run 5 times a week on 5 different channels.

4. Terry K

Terry K Legend

Sep 13, 2006
    It just seems odd that COPS and shows that have been around just as long have already made it to cable, but the Simpsons haven't made it yet. The producers of the Simpsons must be really smart guys to keep it off cable. (Remember what Alan Alda did about MASH...he sued FOX to get it off of fX, which was the ALL MASH all Day network.)

5. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Technically, 20th Century Fox owns the show and I suspect are the ones responsible for keeping it off cable. Right now, the show commands top dollar in the syndication marketplace thanks to the fact it is exclusive. In some markets, re-runs of The Simpson's is the #1 show in their time period and even beats local news.

6. Glen_D

Glen_D Legend

Oct 21, 2006
    That's been my pet peeve for some time now.

A few years ago, I did a search of some random TV show titles on my DVR, shows that I knew currently aired on more than one channel, and found a number of shows that had 50-100 screenings per week. Those were channels that I subscribed to in my satellite package, including my locals. And I think the syndicated TV shows aired by local stations in my market have pretty much all been airing on one or more major Cable/satellite channels concurrently for the past several years.

I'm sure it all boils down to money, but I have to wonder, how many people are watching these shows, when other channels are also running the same ones? It really dilutes the potential viewing audience. Are the channels really pulling in much advertising revenue from all these redundant programs & episodes?

7. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    It would not surprise me to learn that a number of these shows are being offered as "Barter" (a number of commercial spots during the broadcast are given to the syndicator in exchange for the rights to carry the show). Typically, it ranges somewhere between 2:30 or 4:00 depending on the show's popularity. When you do barter (& especially when you air PPI - paid per inquiry commercials), you want your program airing program (and commercial) airing as many places and times as you can.

8. rkr0923

rkr0923 Guest

Sep 14, 2006
    What got me was last Wednesday I recorded Ceremony on UHD, then I saw it advertised on for PPV for 6.99 lol

9. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    That's for those who missed it or do not subscribe to HD Extra Pack and receive HDNET Movies.

10. rkr0923

rkr0923 Guest

Sep 14, 2006
    Only reason I got it extra pack is free this past week. Would never pay 10 bucks for that crap. Only recorded it for Uma, couldn't finish it lol.

11. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    It's $5, not $10. It's also available for 3 months free online.

12. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Hmmmm.... why would I watch a program in syndication when I can own the entire series nowadays on DVD or BluRay?

Oh, should I mention that the evening syndicated programming happens to be 30 minutes long, making it easier to slot than hour long programming? What do they do? Run two episodes back to back or as part of a sandwich.

13. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    the first reason which comes to mind is money. A very large segment of the population does not have enough disposable income to warrant purchasing their favorite shows on DVD or BluRay.

14. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    But, you can rent the disks through NetFlix if you want. How much is NetFlix again?

I also check out the pricing of older releases of TV series on DVD such as M*A*S*H, Seinfeld, Buffy, I Love Lucy, Angel, Two and a Half Men, the CSIs, Criminal Minds, and yes, even Lost. The cost of an entire season was around $25-$30, and some of the CSIs were below $20. The exception was the Star Treks, which were much higher. The advantage of seeing the shows on DVD verses in syndication is that the syndicated version can cut out footage in order to add more commercials.

15. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I say they just drop all channel names, logos and other identifiers and just list the programming schedule by Channel Number.

Golden Girls might be on channels, 127, 185 and 243 while That 70's Show is on channels 134, 168 and 257.

'Course that means the logo bug in the corner of the screen changes too. Or even better yet, goes away entirely.

16. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Yes, Netflix is inexpensive but you do not own the series with NetFlix. Since we were discussing ownership of shows on DVD or BluRay versus Syndication, I did not see it fit to address a service such as Netflix :)

A show which ran 8 seasons and sells for $20 a season would be $160. That may be just a little much for some to shell out in order to watch reruns of their favorite TV series. While I personally do own many of my favorite series on DVD. If Mrs. Fluffybear & I were making what the average couple does today and given a choice between owning 8 seasons of MASH (a favorite of mine) on DVD or spending that same $160 on my wife & kids, I don't have to tell you what I would choose.

Yes, there are many benefits to watching a series on DVD.

17. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    If you watch the rotations of sales on Amazon, you can find complete seasons or sometimes even complete series for very cheap.

I got two seasons of ole Sledge (<<<<<<< over there) for $14/ea and two seasons of "The Pretender" for about $15/ea on a buy one/get one free sale.

I've also found full seasons on sale in stores for under $10.

18. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    As pointed out its 5 dollars and the best value for the buck direct offers. I love most of the channels offered in the extra pack.
    With the exception of Hallmark Movie Channel and Crime & Investigation HD the rest I watch 60% of the time. HDNet Movies, MGM HD, Palladia HD, Sony Movie Channel HD, Smithsonian HD and Universal HD.

Just shows how diverse peoples viewing habits are.

19. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    So we can look forward to meeting a new generation of MASH fans? :D

20. Mets82

Mets82 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    I agree. Its one thing to have shows on multiple channels. Its another to have, what seems like marathons of the shows on all the time. A poster mentioned above about Mash on FX. What about Mash on Hallmark Channel? Golden Girls on Hallmark Channel? What about Cheers on Hallmark Channel? What about all the shows USA Network show? It seems like everyday they show a marathon of Psych or CSI or NCIS.