1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Regional Sports Channel

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by gkamer, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 1, 2006 #1 of 26
    gkamer

gkamer Mentor

Nov 4, 2005
    OK, here is my situation..... I just ordered a 42" plasma and want to change from my old analog cable to satilite cable. I have been looking at both DighTV and DirectTV.

So far I am leaning towards Dish, only because they offer an option to get an HD package with my regional sports station (I want FSN Northwest to watch my beloved Seattle Mariner's).

I see DirectTV only offers regional sports channels on their high end $93.00 package. I don't intend to pay that much for any type of cable package. Hell for a few more bucks I could buy a season ticket and watch the game live.

So does anyone know if DirectTV offers something like that?

2. Feb 2, 2006 #2 of 26
    Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    No, D* offers FSN NW with Total Choice and up. TC Premier gives you out of market RSNs, but any D* basic package gives you your in market RSN.

3. Feb 2, 2006 #3 of 26
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    But... other then the "YES" network, and the rare special situations...

DirecTV doesn't carry any of the RSNs in HD

4. Feb 2, 2006 #4 of 26
    TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Errr... Dish does not offer the regional sports nets in HD either. Which package on Dish are you talking about?

See ya
    Tony

5. Feb 2, 2006 #5 of 26
    JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    gkamer,

The package comparison screen on D*'s web site doesn't "x" the RSN's under Total Choice Plus (locals - the $45.99 package), but the following line is at the top of the screen, "Local channels vary by area and are not listed here. To find your local channels lineup, simply click here and enter your ZIP code."

When you sub to your locals, your local RSN is included. They also offer all RSN's as a Premium Package, which starts at $12.00 a month, depending on how many premiums you have. That's why they show all RSNs checked under the $93.99 package, becuase that includes the RSN premium package.

You would get YOUR RSN under the $45.99 package. And as mentioned, I don't know of any that are HD (except maybe YES in NY).

6. Feb 2, 2006 #6 of 26
    byron

byron Icon

Nov 15, 2004
    occasionally D* will toss up HD games that various RSNs broadcast on the upper 90s channels.... if it happens to be the broadcast of your local RSN. you'll be able to watch... good luck finding a schedule though. it's just potluck from my experience.

7. Feb 2, 2006 #7 of 26
    rjc

rjc Legend

Jan 26, 2006
    I have a question regarding regional sports networks in HD for DirecTV. If one is outside of the NY market and subsribes to both SportsPak and MLB Extra Innings, would we get the YES network Yankee games in HD or would we have to live in NY market to get those games in HD?

Thanks

8. Feb 2, 2006 #8 of 26
    gkamer

gkamer Mentor

Nov 4, 2005
    OK guys, thanks for the info, that was what I was looking for. Somehow I suspected DirectTV must offer some sort of regional sports somewhere if for no other reason that to compete with what Dish offers....

9. Feb 2, 2006 #9 of 26
    byron

byron Icon

Nov 15, 2004
    yes. the same is also true with the other sports packages. for example i pay for NHL:CI. I get any of the HD games they put up unless my local team (pens) are playing in that game and they are using the opposing market's feed. To further explain, if pittsburgh is playing new york and D* puts up an HD feed of the game and that feed is from FSN-NY... it will be blacked out. If that feed is from FSN-Pittsburgh, I'll be albe to watch. Basically, if the game is offered by your RSN, you are forced to watch it on your RSN (hence the reason all pens games on HDNET are blacked out for me).

that make sense?

10. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002

Locals are irrelevant, your local RSN is included in Total Choice and above, if you sub to locals or not.

11. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Directv is owned by News Corp. guess who owns the Fox Regional Sports Networks. (News Corp.):)

12. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Sorry, my bad. I got faked out a bit by the way they have it laid out, too. I've always been getting my locals, so no experience to fall back on. Thanks for clearing that up!

13. absolutbob

absolutbob Mentor

Aug 17, 2006
    That hasn't been my experience with MLB Extra Innings and the SportsPak. I'm a Yankee fan living in Texas. My understanding is that most (if not all) Yankee games on the YES Network are broadcast by D* in HD in the NY RSN. However, here in Texas we only get the SD versions, with an occasional HD game thrown in every so often on channel 95.

Believe me, that's the #1 thing I wish would change, and I'm hoping with the new satellites come RSNs in HD. Maybe even NESN. :)

14. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    ALL Yankee home and selected road games are on Channel 95. {Or no Channel 96 or 97 if within NY DMA}. DMA is irrelevent. HOWEVER if say in your case Texas is playing the Yankees and FSN SW is carrying the game the YES HD feed would be blacked out as well as the SD feed. I was able to see most Yankee games in HD here in Cleveland last season and the season before. Last year they started the interactive feature which is cool. But with that one feature is only available within the YES territory and thats the ability to choose camera angles.

15. NYSmoker

NYSmoker Icon

Aug 19, 2006
    Here in NY (your experience may vary) the info for channel 96 says it is YES and channel 97 says it is SNY (home of the Mets, lets go Mets!). Having only had HD since Thanksgiving I can't say I have seen any baseball on those stations, however, the Nets, also broadcast on YES seem to have every home game in HD. I'm not a basketball fan but I can't turn off the glorious HD picture.

16. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're writing, I believe you're mistaken. If you're outside of the NY DMA (unfortunately), you'll only get the 1 or 2 HD MLB games chosen for that night. That may or may not be the Yankees. But you're not always going to see the HD Yanks unless you're in the in the NY DMA.

17. BigSey

BigSey DBSTalk Club Member

Oct 18, 2006

I live in Seattle and have an HR20. Every Mariners, Sonics, etc. game that FSN Northwest shows in HD is shown on DirecTV on channel 96. Hope that helps answer your question.

18. mganga

mganga Godfather

Dec 4, 2006
    but isn't there "hope" of RSN's in HD once the new SATs go up? please, earl say there is hope...

19. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    I'm with you Texan, but I think the reality is that 2008 is the earliest we'd see that.

20. tawnee

tawnee Mentor

Dec 18, 2006
    Only problem in the Philly area is that Philly Comcast won't let D* carry it, so no RSN for us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.