Regional Sports Fee, what's it for?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by evotz, Apr 28, 2015.

1. evotz

evotz Active Member

Jan 23, 2014
    What is the point of DirecTV's (for my zip code anyway) $2.14 regional sports fee? This was introduced in February along side DirecTV's $4 plan increase.

I live in Western Kentucky. In regards to baseball, we've always gotten the Cincinnati Reds games. Why? I have no clue. There's not a single Reds fan any where in this 8 county area. 95% of the people that live in this area are Cardinals fan. Yet, for DirecTV customers living in this area, to get the Cardinals games we have to buy the $13 Sports Pack. Look at the MLB blackout maps, this area is Cardinals and Reds (I have no clue why, this is where MLB needs to get involved and fix this) territory.

We did luck out some last year, the Cardinals started showing some games on Foxsports Tennessee, which we as DirecTV customers also got.

When I saw the $2.14 regional sports fee in February and the Foxsports TN coverage of some games last year, I thought "OK, this is reasonable, I'll be able to get the Cardinals games now". Do I? No!

To make matters even worse, the Reds games are being showed on Foxsports Tennessee (channel 646). So we get the Reds games on 661 and the Reds games on 646. There are no Cardinals games this year, unless you buy the $13 Sports Pack.

What on earth is this $2.14 fee for?

DirecTV would have saved a lot of egg on their face if they would have just told me they were increasing my bill $6.14 and hid the regional sports fee.

This is a sham by DirecTV to force customers to pay the $13 for the Sports Pack for the games they really want to see.

I have another year on my DirecTV contract. I will have to look into alternatives next year when my contract is up. DirecTV cannot keep raising prices and raising prices and not expect to lose customers. I'm sure Western Kentucky and Cardinals games aren't the only examples of this ploy.

(Just in case anybody gets confused by some of my other posts. I'm not a huge Cardinals fan. I get the Extra Innings package so I can watch the Cubs games and that's fine for the most part. I just can't watch the Cubs/Cardinals games which is frustrating. If the Cubs aren't playing, I'd prefer to watch the Cardinals and not having that option outside of the Sports Pack is frustrating for me. But I'm also posting this for the many casual Cardinals fans that are my neighbors who are also frustrated at the $2.14 Regional Sports Fee and no Cardinals games).

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Regional Sports Fees cover the cost of contractual obligations requiring DIRECTV to offer multiple sports networks in selected zip codes.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    In my area, DIRECTV simply doesn't carry the other 67% of the RSNs (and no RSN fee is charged). Clearly DIRECTV isn't being "required" to offer multiple RSNs and charge extra.

The fee is to cover the cost of delivering what RSNs that they do carry and sometimes that doesn't include all of them.

If would be unfair to charge those who don't get a full roster of RSNs to subsidize those who do so the fee varies.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Some of your questions, in regards to the media markets and blackouts I'm not sure anyone truly understands. This is the sport that blacked out Stan Musial's funeral after all.

5. evotz

evotz Active Member

Jan 23, 2014
    So, we get Foxsports Cincinnati and Foxsports Tennessee. Some Cardinals games were on Foxsports Tennessee last year. The Cardinals even released a schedule for what games would be on Foxsports Tennessee this year:

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/stl/downloads/y2015/stl_foxsports_south.pdf

None of those games have been on Foxsports Tennessee on DirecTV this year. Why am I paying a regional sports fee then? What exactly am I paying for?

Is the St. Louis Cardinals baseball organization getting more money from DirecTV for each Western Kentucky individual that has to buy the Sports Pack to watch the Cardinals games? Or is that $13 that DirecTV gets to pocket directly? If I were the Cardinals, I would be wanting more money from DirecTV if fans that are suppose to be getting their games have to pay more to get those games.

6. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Phillies @ Cardinals is live now on FSTNalt, 646-3

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DirecTV does not pay the Cardinals ... they pay RSN(s) that have purchased the rights to some/many Cardinals games.

The rate DirecTV pays each RSN is negotiated based on where each subscriber resides. DirecTV is paying more to deliver Fox Sports Detroit to people in Detroit than they are paying to deliver that channel to people in Chicago.

Distribution is also negotiated based on where the subscriber resides. There are some areas where DirecTV must deliver Fox Sports Detroit in "Choice" and above and other areas where DirecTV is not required to deliver the channel.

Blackouts are entirely separate from the negotiated rate areas and distribution areas.

8. evotz

evotz Active Member

Jan 23, 2014
    touché

Wasn't there when I checked the guide, but that may have been a couple of days ago.
    touché

9. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    It's kind of a gimmick that they say we have a 2-week guide, or whatever the time frame is. Sure, we do for the majority of channels, but iut's simply not true for the non-full-time channels. This is annoying when you have to deal with those channels. I used to live in NC and had most of my local teams on subchannels, including the Reds on the 4 channels they are on (FS Cin, FS TN, SportSouth, and FS Indiana). The part time and non-local sub-channels only show up 2 to 4 days in advance. Sometimes you'll see them on there a week or more ahead of time, but not usually, so check often.

10. evotz

evotz Active Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Well, I'm eating a bit of crow right now for not checking before posting this topic. I do think this is the first game I've seen on one of the 646 channels this season.

It may not be necessarily DirecTV's fault. Just a little upset at the constant price hikes. Course, if DirecTV balks at paying, we lose channels and we'll be upset at that.

I just kind of hoped that the regional sports fee would allow me to watch the teams that I'm in the region for. Otherwise DirecTV would have been better served to call the fee something else, or just add it into the $4 price hike. We would have been none the wiser.

1 person likes this.
  11. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    I'm under the impression that MLB decides what areas "belong" to each team, as does NFL, BasketBall, Hockey.

12. sunfire9us

sunfire9us Godfather

Feb 15, 2009
    You're correct. The sports leagues draw each team's territory. Dtv has nothing to do with it. The only thing that never made sense in my area is if I have cable I would get both FSMW and CSN Chicago. On Dtv I only get FSMW with any package and I would have to pay for SportsPak to get CSN Chicago. Both rsn's serve our area ( central Ill)

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

13. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You're at least a little fortunate to have that option.

14. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Cable they have to do it based on everywhere your headend serves, sometimes it can even result in games not being available at all via out of market packages because the blackouts have to be applied to everywhere served by that headend, so if one town is in the blackout zone, the entire headend is.

DirecTV can break it down to be zip code specific.

15. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Huh. I didn't know that. Is there a story behind that?

Rich

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    They do and they're very proprietary about it. I think they have agreements with all the teams that include what areas can get TV coverage and what areas are open to expansion. I think Santa Monica or some Santa city has been trying to get a team for years and can't because of that.

Rich

17. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Santa Jose?? :)

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    San Jose? Could that be it? I dunno. One of them really wants a team.

Rich

19. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Basically the MLB has strict control over the rights to all footage, most RSNs only have local rights. The funeral contained MLB footage so they couldn't show it out of market.

The MLB is also the reason why WatchABC has to blackout the sports reports during newscasts on their live streams. Even WatchESPN had to blur the screen anytime MLB highlights were shown during SportsCenter until ESPN signed a new deal with MLB giving them digital rights.

20. Yakuman

Yakuman New Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Polvos...
    I'm amazed that isn't considered fair use.