Regional Sports Network Blackouts?

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by steveo11, Jun 5, 2007.

1. steveo11

steveo11 New Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I am considering becoming a new customer to DirectTV but I was hoping someone could help me out with a couple questions. I am living in northern Florida (Gainesville) but am a huge Arizona fan (college & pro), which most of their games are televised on FSN Arizona, which of course is available if you sign up for the sports pack. However, I've heard that 100% of professional games and 40+% of collegiate games are blacked out on regional sports networks. I called DirectTV and spoke with one of their reps who disspelled these rumors, saying that only local games that dont sell out will be blacked out; I also read the blackout page on the DirectTV website, which seems to disspell these rumors also. Can anyone shed some light here? Anyone had similar problems with the majority of their teams games being blacked out when they are located in a different region? Would I have better luck with a competitor (DISH, cable)? Thanks in advance.

2. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    What you've heard is mostly accurate. Almost all out-of-market major league professional sports games are blacked out in the sports pack. What the rep told you is only true for in-market games. Thus, if you lived in a fringe area claimed by multiple pro markets, it's possible to add more pro sports. But watching Arizona from Florida? No.

The college game blackout percentage varies, depending on the conference and other factors. I would expect Arizona football games to be blacked out (when they're not being repeated across all FSN networks), but I could be wrong.

But on the bright side, you'd be able to watch the Arizona regional sports shows and the pre- and postgame shows.

The Dish Sports Pack blackout picture: http://www.carload.com/dishsports.htm

3. steveo11

steveo11 New Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So if I were to buy all the "sports packages" (ESPN GamePlan, ESPN FullCourt, NFL Sunday Ticket, MLB Extra Innings, NBA League Pass), would I then be able to get all the AZ games? If not, I'm still not sure I understand why? Thanks,

4. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    The packages will get you the out-of-market games. You have to understand that buying the "Sports Pack" for $12.00/month will get you FSN AZ, but will not get you the professional sports. The only games that will be blacked out in the higher cost packages (Extra Innings right now) would be games that invovle your local team (i.e. D-Rays/Marlins). Those games should be available via FSN-Florida or a local channel.

How could you leave Tucson?

5. Hound

Hound Icon

Mar 20, 2005
    Yes, you will be able to get all of the Arizona games with the sports packages,
    except when Arizona is playing a Florida team. You will be blacked out
    when say the Diamondbacks play the Marlins. If Directv provides the Florida
    RSN (FSN Florida) for the Marlins, then you would watch the Diamondbacks/Marlins game on FSN Florida.

With Dish Network, I subbed to MLB EI, NBA League Pass, NHL Center Ice and
    ESPN Full Court because I was an out of market fan for three years. I canceled
    the Sports Pak because all of the professional games were blacked out.
    If you want to watch the pre and post game interviews for the Arizona teams
    you should get the Sports Pak. With MLB EI, NBA League Pass, etc, the broadcast
    more or less starts a few minutes before the first pitch and when the last out
    is made, the broadcast is over. There are no pre game shows or post game
    interviews.

I am leaving Dish Network and going back to cable. Verizon Fios became available
    in my area and is providing three RSNs in HD that Dish did not provide to me
    in SD or HD. So I do not really need the league sports packages anymore. However, i am continuing with MLB EI, because I like watching all the teams every night. Dish did not renew MLB EI, but I am able to pick it up on local cable with just a limited basic subscription ($14.80 per month plus $159).

The combination of the league sports packages and the Florida RSN will give
    you every Arizona Game. For three years, I was able to get every game that
    I wanted, doing the same thing with Dish. I did not spend the extra money to
    watch the pre game shows or post game interviews.

6. jrbdmb

jrbdmb Icon

Sep 5, 2002
    Up to now, Arizona and ASU football on FSN-Arizona has not been blacked out. You would need ESPN GamePlan for those Arizona / ASU games that get shown on ABC. (Note that there are going to be a few Pac 10 games on ESPN this year, so the blackout situation could change for 2007.)

As for men's basketball, there may be one or two Arizona / ASU games on ESPN FullCourt (any that get shown on ABC), but generally ESPN FullCourt is for ACC / SEC / Big 10 / Big 12 and ignores the Pac-10.

Take a look at http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIF.jsp?assetId=1800007 and http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIF.jsp?assetId=1100036 to see the GamePlan and FullCourt games from last year to get an idea what you will see with these packages.

Edit: For last year, GamePlan had 5 Arizona / ASU games, FullCourt had 4 Arizona / ASU games. Also, if I recall DirecTV shows all the CBS regional basketball games to their subs, so their are probably a few extra games you can get.

For the Arizona pro teams, above info is accurate.

7. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Thats true during the college basketball season D* does show the CBS regional games on alternate channels. Two other things you might wish to consider is that D* is the exclusive sat provider now for MLB EI and the March Madness package. (Although if AZ made it to the big dance they would probably be on your local CBS station.) Now since your in Tucson you would not necessarily need ESPN Game Plan or Full Court for the AZ/ASU games as you maybe able to get them locally. That you would have to verify. However if you want to see your teams in HD, then D* would be the way to go as all the RSNs will go on a CONUS beam sometime in September.

8. GlennDio

GlennDio Icon

Jan 19, 2007
    Castle...
    D* is the way to go ...get sports pack for some NCAA Football and Game plan for more ... Full court for NCaa hoops and EI/CI/ST/LP whatever for your pro sports and you will be fine with tons in HD ...not cheap by any means but you won't get anything even close from E* or Cable

9. Hound

Hound Icon

Mar 20, 2005
    Cable in central New Jersey gives you everything except Sunday Ticket. If you
    are an Arizona Cardinals fan, you better get Directv.