Regional Sports Networks and Streaming (MLB)

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by evotz, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Dec 3, 2019 #1 of 11
    evotz

evotz Active Member

Jan 23, 2014
    I live in a fringe regional sports area. For MLB - I am in St. Louis Cardinals territory and Cincinnati Reds territory (I have no idea why this is considered Reds territory).

Currently with DirecTV I get the Reds games on Fox Sports Ohio. I get SOME of the Cardinals games on Fox Sports South - the ones that they allow to be mirrored to Fox Sports South. I can get the Cardinals on Fox Sports Midwest if I subscribe to the Sports Pack, but the price is bit too steep.

I am a Cubs fan, and that's mostly what I watch, so it's not a huge issue (if I were a Cardinals fan, I'd definitely subscribe to the Sports Pack and wouldn't need Extra Innings or MLB.tv).

I am strong considering dropping my DirecTV before next spring. I can get the majority of the Cubs games on MLB.tv. Except for when they play the Reds or the Cardinals. Is there an eloquent solution to this?

When I look at Youtube TV or Hulu Live TV, they offer Fox Sports Ohio in my zip code - so I'd get the Reds games. But no Foxsports Midwest. They both have Fox Sports South, so I assume I'd get the same mirrored games on Fox Sports South as I would get with DirecTV.

I really don't know if I want to subscribe to a full fledged streaming service just for the Reds games and the off chance that I get an occasional Cardinals game. It would be really, really nice if MLB would just open up MLB.tv and you get every game - regardless of whose territory you are in. Or if Fox Sports Midwest and Fox Sports Ohio had their own streaming options that I could subscribe to.

I'm just trying to figure out what some of my options might be before the season starts. Anybody in a similar situation have any insights?

gpg likes this.
  2. Dec 3, 2019 #2 of 11
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    MLB seems to be on the verge of letting us see our local games. They see streaming for what it is and want to get in on it. Might happen in 2020 but I think it will probably be in 2021. The MLB app wouldn't help me at all at the moment. I'd miss all the home games. There is no other option that I can find that is better than D* in my case, you have a different problem. And you're probably gonna run into the same wall I've hit. In my case I can just stick with D*, that's my path of least resistance. In your case, MLB opening that door might solve your problems.

Even if MLB does this I think I'd rather keep D*. I don't see any way to duplicate the D* sports experience.

Rich

3. Dec 3, 2019 #3 of 11
    evotz

evotz Active Member

Jan 23, 2014
    In the summer months - during baseball season, that's pretty much all I watch. This past year, I don't think I watched any on Extra Innings, I just used the included MLB.tv (kind of as a test to see how feasible it would be... turns out it was very feasible). But when the Cubs played the Reds I was forced to watch Fox Sports Ohio on DirecTV and when they played the Cardinals, if that game was on Fox Sports South I'd watch it there.

In the winter months I'm mostly college basketball - mainly SEC teams. So I need the ESPN networks and SEC channel then, but Sling can provide that. I'll need the Turner channels during March Madness but the other Sling package offers that.

That's pretty much all I watch. If not any of those, it's either an SVU, NCIS, or Simpson's rerun on USA, TNT, FXX or what not. I think I can fill that time in with Hulu's non-live option. There's really no "new" show that I have to watch every week.

To me, DirecTV is just becoming less and less worth the cost. The Reds/Cardinals games is really just the last peg that I need to find a fit for. And if I absolutely had to, I could subscribe to Hulu Live or Youtube TV for that and still save money - just seems like a major waste for what little I want out of it.

I'd love for MLB to get on board with the streaming stuff. I'd even be willing to pay a little bit more (of course, how much more is always the question) for an MLB.tv option that includes your "local" teams - even if they want to force me to watch Fox Sports Ohio and Fox Sports Midwest and their commercials.

4. Dec 3, 2019 #4 of 11
    wmb

wmb Godfather

Dec 17, 2008
    If it’s just a couple of games a season, going to a sports bar for them may be a good option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Dec 6, 2019 #5 of 11
    1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    My current location is deep into Mariners territory, and so no wacky team 'areas' to deal with, but no coverage as 'root sports' (owned by directv/att) won't sell their signal outside of cable/sat. So unless mlb does a run-around with mlb.tv (long time subscriber) I'll never get to watch those mariner games live (no great loss though unless they will actually win once in a while).

6. Dec 6, 2019 #6 of 11
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Just this morning I read that Amazon is gonna stream some games from the YES channel and MLB is permitting them to stream home and away games. This is just the beginning. Don't remember which site I read that on but here's another article about it. Amazon Reportedly Partnering With New York Yankees to Stream MLB Games
    From the last paragraph of the article above: Previous agreements with local cable providers and regional sports networks may prevent this practice from being immediately embraced across the league. The Yankees are at an advantage as part owners of the YES network, yet still they must overcome local cable hurdles. A unanimous vote last month by all MLB team owners made it possible for teams to control the streaming rights of local games, which should lead to eventual team-friendly distribution changes.

This is what we've been waiting for, the ability to stream home games. Just a beginning, another small snowball slowly rolling down the mountain...remember the last small snowball? Streaming, which has become an avalanche. Stay tuned...

Rich

TheRatPatrol likes this.
  7. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    Ankeny, IA...
    I've had no issues streaming Des Moines "local" teams (KC, STL, MN, and both Chicago teams) on Hulu Live the last several years.

8. evotz

evotz Active Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Well, when I look at a random Des Moines zip code on Hulu Live it shows you getting:

Fox Sports Midwest / Plus - Cardinals
    Fox Sports North / Plus - Twins
    CSN Chicago / Plus - Cubs / White Sox (although the Cubs will be on Marquee starting next year)

Des Moines is also the market territory of the Brewers and Royals. But I don't see Fox Sports Wisconsin (Brewers) or Fox Sports Kansas City (Royals) listed here. Are you certain you got all of these games? Perhaps some of them were mirrored to the Plus channels? Maybe all of them? But I kind of doubt it.

For me, my teams are:

St. Louis Cardinals
    Cincinnati Reds

But Hulu Live (as with just about every other streaming service, and DirecTV) lists my regional sports channels as:

Fox Sports Ohio (Reds)
    Fox Sports South

Some of the Cardinals games, maybe half?, are mirrored to Fox Sports South throughout the season. I assume I would get those mirrored games on Fox Sports South regardless of what service I am with (DirecTV, Hulu Live, YouTube TV). Although... now that I think about it, the Cardinals games on Fox Sports Wouth were on a Fox Sports South dash channel and that may not be available with Hulu and YouTube TV.

Thus far, the only way I really see to guarantee that I'd get all of the Cardinals games (which I'm really not all that interested in ... just when they play the Cubs) would be to stay with DirecTV and buy the Sports Pack. Hulu Live, YouTube TV, etc. do not have a way for me to get Fox Sports Midwest - even though my zip code qualifies as St. Louis territory (and I agree that this area is definitely Cardinals territory... not Reds territory).

This is the poor, poor state that MLB is in with regards to their territory rights and claims.

9. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    Ankeny, IA...
    Excuse me? I'm a life long Royals fan who wouldn't have cut the cord if I knew I couldn't watch my nightly reality show. With DirecTV Now, the Royals were not on DirecTV Now, but available with my sign on on the Fox Sports Go app. On HuluLive and YouTube TV, the Royals are on Fox Sports Midwest+ (same on Mediacom) and occasional Brewers games on Fox Sports North+. In addition, Pacers games are on Fox Sports Midwest+ as well (same on Mediacom) and the Timberwolves and Wild are mirrored on both FS North and FS Midwest+.

FS KC and WI are basically mirrors of Midwest and North respectively. On Mediacom it's labeled as FS Midwest+ (IA) and when there are no conflicts with the Royals that feed airs the Twins as well.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  10. evotz

evotz Active Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Well, the point I was trying to make was that you have more applicable RSNs for your "teams" with Hulu Live than I do.

Maybe the other teams do get mirrored to the Plus feeds more often than not. I really can't speak to that.

You also mention that occasional Brewers games get mirrored to Fox Sports North+ ... I assume by occasional you mean not all. That's the blasphemy of all of this. What if you were a Brewers fan? You're in Brewers "territory" yet you can't get all the Brewers games with Hulu Live and you can't get any Brewers games with MLB.tv. So how are you suppose to watch the Brewers without DirecTV (which may or may not require the Sports Pack also)?

What if the Royals stop mirroring their games to Midwest+? You don't get Fox Sports Kansas City... despite being in the Royals "territory" so how would you get the Royals games in that situation? Again, not with Hulu Live.

MLB has allowed teams to stake claims to territories that they shouldn't have. And as a result it's impossible for "in territory" individuals to watch "their" team

11. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    Ankeny, IA...
    In Iowa, if your TV provider is Mediacom, then yes it is impossible to watch all 6 of the "local" MLB teams. Across Norhern Iowa (US 20 and north), Mediacom's RSN is FS North. Des Moines and all points SW and west (basically West of I-35 and along and south of I-80), Mediacom's RSN is FS Midwest/FS Midwest+ and in the east it's NBC Sports Chicago.

But with satellite and streaming along with small town teleco's, the above is a moot point. Right now, only D* and Mediacom is on board for Marquee (the Cubs RSN), so the above may change, especially in the DSM metro as this is a Cubs market followed by Cardinals 1b with the Royals a distant third, all others don't even move the needle in terms of interest.

As far as FS Midwest not doing a "mirror" for Iowa, it's a hypothetical that's not going to happen, the FS Midwest footprint stretches from Kansas to Indiana. Oh, there's more Yankees and Red Sox fans in the DSM metro than Brewers ;)