Reinstalling dish/antenna after roof replacement

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by slice1900, Sep 17, 2020.

1. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    My building had damage in last month's derecho and the insurance carrier will be buying me a new roof (probably next year, because there are others in the area with more serious/immediate damage)

When that happens the dish & antenna will need to be removed, and I plan to relocate the dish near the eave so it is more accessible than its current place way up on high on the roof (the antenna will need to remain there so it can "see" over other buildings)

I recall people have previously recommended some sort of gizmo to install on your roof to feed cables through that is supposed to eliminate any possibility of water intrusion - sort of square like 6" by 6" I think. Can someone refresh my memory as to what that is? I figure that would be a good thing to include (especially if insurance will pay for the new install, which I haven't got confirmation on yet) even though I've never had water intrusion where cables enter my roof now.

Any other tips for something I might want to take advantage of when having this done?

2. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    As an electrician for rooftop units field wiring/low voltage cables penetrating, we always used a witches hat with a piece of EMT or equivalent running thru it. Exiting the hat above the roof, we put a bend on it to prevent rain entering, ran the cable and sealed the end. That’s usually the most common method.

tecnicoloco likes this.
  3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yeah ...

I think you're referring to a "Commdeck" dish roof mounting system such as here for the main dish mast footing. ...

Commdeck CD0170BLK Dish Mounting System from Solid Signal

And there are additional smaller ones for the Slimline dish support monopoles as well. ...

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

harsh likes this.
  4. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    What is a "witches hat"? Never heard of that...have a link to a picture so I can see what you're talking about?

5. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa

Yeah that's what I was remembering.

Took a quick look at the instructions and it mentions handling up to 4 coaxes, which makes me wonder if it can handle 6...

6. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    codespy, slice1900 and tecnicoloco like this.