1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Relocating dish after installation yesterday?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by joest73, Jul 19, 2010.

1. joest73

joest73 Cool Member

Jul 19, 2010
    We had our D* installation done yesterday by a D* tech. I had just about everything labeled and ready for the tech to do the install.

One thing we are not happy with is the location of the Dish on the lower level of our split-level house. The tech told me that that was the only spot where he could get a good signal. There are trees on the other side of the street that he had to get the dish above.

I was hesitant about the position of the dish now after a day of thinking about the install location, we don't know if we can live with what my wife calls the "radar dish". I am also worried about not being able to climb to the roof when we get bad weather (ice/snow). I climb the roof all of the time to clean the gutters and install christmas lights... but not when the weather is bad.

I am thinking of calling back the installer/D* and telling them that I want the dish relocated.

Since this is soon after a new install what should I expect to pay for this?
    Any ideas on where/how to relocate the dish?

Attached Files:

2. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    It looks like he might have been able to go lower on the roof, all the way to the front, but not anywhere else, unless you wanted a pole mount. Since it works on the roof, you would have to pay extra for the pole mount.

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    They will probably charge you a full service charge visit to relocate, since you just had it done yesterday and supposedly signed off on the install. A tech should not have to eat the cost because you want it somewhere different today.

4. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I'd live with it for a week and then see if your wife still hates it.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    From the pictures it appears he was trying to get away from the large tree on the left side of your house ( looking at the front view ).
    If you are on the ground and get as technically in line with the direction it is pointed could it be moved further to the back and closer to the end / chimney than it is now and still miss the tree. Take into consideration that this is a "V" shaped look towards the equator.
    She might not like the look but she certainly would not like the TV going out a lot from interference from the tree.
    Tree interference is worse than rain. It makes interference when the wind is blowing the leaves around.

I had my first dish up high like that and it only take a few days to quit looking at it.

Good luck.

6. joest73

joest73 Cool Member

Jul 19, 2010
    I could live with where it is. My concern is getting to the Dish if the dish/roof is snow covered for a period of time.

Lat year was worse than most years for snow in central pa but even with the typical winter I could imagine not being able to get to the dish.
    I guess I may need to use a small ladder and borrow one of the kids super soakers....

7. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    You could duct tape a broom onto the end of a snow rake and clean the dish while standing on the ground.

8. joest73

joest73 Cool Member

Jul 19, 2010
    That would need to be a long extension to reach the dish from the ground. I may let it go for one winter and see if the location is a problem.

9. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    To pass a QC/QA for the company I work for, we need at least 10 degrees clearance for LOS. The only exception is if there is no place to get 10 degrees and the customer is aware that they may only have 2years of LOS.

We guarantee 2 years seeing as that is the contract length.

And like others have said, you will be charged to re-locate the dish. You allowed it to be put there, no one should have to come back to move it without getting paid.

10. Winston_Smith

Winston_Smith Cool Member

Jul 15, 2010
    The dish is installed wrong also, looks like it's right over a living area to me. You could maybe use that to your advantage, I don't know I'm still green.

11. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    There are heaters that you can attach.

12. joest73

joest73 Cool Member

Jul 19, 2010
    What is the problem with having it over the living room? I understand that I agreed on the location and I may need to pay for relocation. I may try to see if I can get some assistance on finding an alternate spot and doing the relocation myself and maybe have the DTV tech come out and re-align the Dish.

I would possibly like to relocate the dish to a pole mounted spot under the tree close to the front living room window.

13. leier911

leier911 AllStar

Oct 17, 2006
    I am new to this, what do you mean over a living area? Are there rules to this? My house is similar, it looks like this and when they put the HD dish from the SD dish, man that thing was huge, but as people said, I lived with it and I don't notice it that much, but at first, WOW! Where can they/can they not put it? I am curious because we had some hail/wind, roof damage, so I will be taking it down soon to redo my roof, but will have to have them come and reinstall it and was wondering if I too should have them relocate since I am going to have to take it down or just have them put it in the similar spot.

14. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    I've never heard of not putting it over living space. That makes no sense. Dishes are just fine mounted above living space as long as they were properly installed using bishops tape on all seals.

edit:

@Joest73 -> If you really want to give us an idea about line of site you need to take a picture standing in line with the lnb arm. The arm that sticks out of the reflector towards the sky. Side shots don't give us any idea of what the tech was looking at.

Also, try punching in your address into www.dishpointer.com. Select the 101, 103, 99 DTV birds. It will give you an idea of what the tech was working with. (Side note, the google maps images might be old and the tree might have grown)

15. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    I would ask that they relocate to the ground. Satellite dishes void a lot of new roof warranties. Either make sure that the dish won't void the warranty or don't put it on the roof.

16. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Give it a month and you won't even notice it there. For example, if those 3 plumbing vents weren't there and you had them put in yesterday, you would probably wonder what you were thinking yesterday, right. I bet you hadn't even given them a second glance anytime soon, have you?

I think a D* dish gives a home a sort of a dignified look :)

17. joest73

joest73 Cool Member

Jul 19, 2010
    I'll take a line of sight picture tonight. He was trying to get over the trees that have grown alot since the google image below.

Attached Files:

18. Winston_Smith

Winston_Smith Cool Member

Jul 15, 2010
    In the book I have from DirecTV It says not to install a dish over a living area.

19. joest73

joest73 Cool Member

Jul 19, 2010
    I attached a picture close to the line of sight from the Dish. You can see the trees across the street that he was trying to get above

Attached Files:

20. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009

Super Soaker + Hot water + a cap full of rubbing alcohol.
    Just point and melt!
    Easy and fun!