1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reluctant Change to Dish Network

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by mikelan6, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikelan6

mikelan6 New Member

May 4, 2007
    We purchased a TiVo series 3 a few months ago for our HD Plasma TV on Comcast. Everything was fine and dandy until last month when our condo building decided to not renew Comcast's contract and switched to a reseller of Dish Network.

We knew that our S3 would not handle Dish Network, so we asked several times and were told that we could keep Comcast, but for a higher fee as we would not get a bulk rate.

Our Comcast service was cut off on Tuesday and were eventually told by their business coordinator that Comcast, due to a disagreement with the building's board of directors decided to pull out their equipment.

Currently, our S3 is only getting channels off the air.

The Dish Network programing is OK, but the HD box they gave us does not have an HDMI port and the quality isn't all that great, plus we lost HD DVR capabilities. We read here that Dish Network had an HD DVR, but when we contacted the new company to ask about it, they advised us that their HD DVR would not be ready for a few months and that in NO WAY were we to buy an HD DVR from somewhere else.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do?

2. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    The Dish Network ViP-622 has in fact been available for many months now, and has all the items you're asking about, including HDMI, over the air HD tuning, and HD-DVR capabilities. Are you not allowed to use Dish Network equipment in your building?

So the answer to your question is... Get a 622!

3. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 16, 2006
    Call Dish Network as the box has been out for over one year. It is the VIP622 and does have an HDMI output and does record HD on its bulid in DVR.

4. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    There is something very wrong here. What receiver did they install for DISH Network service? A HD receiver without HDMI? I don't think that DISH has a current model like that.

As Slordak said, the 622 is the answer to your problem BUT before you get one make sure that is can work in your condo. Some condos have MDS installations and you can't just use any receiver you want on the system.

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The DVI port can be easily cabled to feed video (only) to an HDMI display. I'm assuming that the receiver that they're offering is the 811 QAM.
    I'd ask about getting an individual feed from Comcast. It shouldn't require any special hardware on anyone's part.

Your beef is with the property managers/HOA. They chose a path on your behalf.

6. juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 31, 2003
    check if the box is set for 1080i the default is 480 p..should be in the menu under HDTV setup

7. Oldford

Oldford Cool Member

Jun 23, 2006
    I think ATT resells dish in MDS deals like this. They still use the 811 (no HDMI and MPEG-2 only) since the new VIP series don't do QAM. (Or at least, as far as I know, I don't see a QAM mode in my 622)

Regards, Eric

8. JohnL

JohnL Icon

Apr 1, 2002
    Oldford,

You are correct at the moment the VIP622 will NOT work with Dish Networks QAM Switches. This is to be corrected this summer the VIP622 will get a software upgrade to enable QAM.

This was announced Today at the Dish Summit.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.