Remind me - why we paying for HD?

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by leadout_kv, Oct 16, 2007.

1. leadout_kv

leadout_kv Mentor

Nov 4, 2006
    I had a thought that may end up being a stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyway cause no question is a stupid question :lol: .

If the FCC has mandated that all stations broadcast in HD by 2009 why are we paying additional fees for HD content?

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    The 2009 date is not for everything in HD. Everything has to be in digital.

3. leadout_kv

leadout_kv Mentor

Nov 4, 2006
    Thanks. See, I knew it was a stupid question. :D

4. petergaryr

petergaryr Passed away April 24, 2010

Nov 22, 2006
    A number of people are confused on that point.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Another take on your question... you'll pay for it because in a capitalist society it is the duty of the company to try to increase profits. It's the duty of the consumer to choose what he pays for.

You can still get HD for free over the air.

6. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Here's another reason to pay. There is no law mandating that DirecTV, Echostar or any cable company provide you with one minute of HDTV content either now, by 2009 or before the end of the century. The law only applies to OTA broadcasts. Somebody's got to pay for those new satellites. How about me and you?

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    My point exactly.

8. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    The law applies to the discontinuance of analog OTA broadcasts, to be replaced by digital SD
    broadcasts by no later than 2/19/09.

For the umpteenth time, there is NO requirement for broadcasters to start broadcasting in HD.

9. late1

late1 Cool Member

Aug 16, 2007
    We pay extra for the same reason we used to have to pay an extra charge for the ability to use touch tone phone dialing instead of rotary.

There used to be equipment at the CO that converted the tones into the old-style "pulse" dialing so your call would go through... the extra charges continued for years after system updates. The theory was why stop charging when people are willing to pay?