Remote control code for new LG OLED TV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gator1234, Apr 27, 2018.

1. gator1234

gator1234 AllStar

Jul 21, 2007
    Has anyone been successful in program the remote to operate the new LG OLED tv's. I tried many of the codes and can't seem to get any of them to work.

2. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    I guess it might depend on which type (RC6x or RC7x) you are trying to program, as well possibly the receiver you're trying to use it with.

For what it's worth, I've got an RC66 that had been programmed to control an LG plasma a few years back and still controls a 2016 model LG OLED without having needed any further programming.

Sorry I can't tell you what that code is offhand, but I probably got it from an old HR21 menu code list as that was what I was using when I first got that plasma.

Later when connecting a new HR44 to that plasma it was somehow able to get the LG's make through the HDMI port and set its RC7x control automatically.

3. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Ok, here are the two menu screens from the remote section for LG codes out of the HR21:

rem-ins1.jpg

rem-ins2.jpg

Not sure, but I think my sets worked off of the second code (10017). Someone with better memory or quicker lookup skills than me might be able to tell how to read the code back from my remote, so that I could tell you for sure which one is working for me.

Now with all that said, I've no idea whether these codes for RC6x would be the same ones for RC7x remotes.

4. May 5, 2018 #4 of 24
    gary900

gary900 Legend

Feb 16, 2009
    riverside, ca
    Try code 11423. Worked for me on new LG OLED65C7 installed 1 week ago. Great TV by the way. Replaced a failing Sony XBR 52" from 12 years ago. What a differerence!!!

5. R0am3r

R0am3r Legend

Sep 20, 2008
    I have a new LG OLED model OLED55B9PUA and need a remote code for my Genie HR44. My remote is the RC71. I tried the recommend codes, but nothing worked. Anyone have an idea if this is possible?

6. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I have an LG OLED and I just use HDMI CEC (HDMI control) to power the TV on/off. The way I set it up was to program the DVR remotes master power and volume to the AVR and use HDMI CEC to turn on the TV and DVR. Works great. One button on, one button off. You aren't going to be able to control the TV apps with it if that's what you're getting at. You'd still need the magic remote for that.

7. R0am3r

R0am3r Legend

Sep 20, 2008
    SledgeHammer - thanks for the quick reply. Your solution is unique and I may have to utilize it. My initial goal was to use my Genie remote without the AVR running and simply control the volume and on/off for the LG TV. Hence the need for a remote code. At this point, I am starting to believe there are no codes for this tv. I'll keep looking.

8. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you have a Genie it is an interactive ( 2 way communication ) setup.
    Menu, Settings & Help, Remote Control
    Follow the instructions on the screen. If your model is not listed choose I don't know and the Genie will cycle thru it's codes and when it thinks it has found one it will ask if that works.
    This works with RC65 or higher and the RC71 or higher remotes.

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The codes are the same for both remotes. However, the RC7x remotes do not have a slider so just skip that step since all TV codes start with a 1 .

10. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Not unique. Its a common setup :). My OLED doesn't have the sound bar. Why not use your speakers and AVR? You'll have better sound and the setup will work like you want it to.

R0am3r likes this.
  11. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Try Hisense codes.

R0am3r likes this.
  12. R0am3r

R0am3r Legend

Sep 20, 2008
    Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately, none of the Hisense codes worked.

13. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    You probably need an RC73 remote. Usually if Lg codes don't work Hisense works for RC73 remotes.

14. R0am3r

R0am3r Legend

Sep 20, 2008
    Thanks again for the feedback. I ordered a couple of RC73s from Amazon and they should be in tomorrow. Since they are dirt cheap (and they come in a 2-pack), I figured this was a good excuse to replace my aging remotes. Hopefully this is a good fix.

15. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Did you order the backlit RC73B remotes? I like them a lot better than the RC73s.

Rich

16. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Thanks for that post.

Jogged a memory of how I was able to get RC71 to control my old AVR (unsolved question in another forum).

It seems the RC7x needs that two-way from the HR44 for some of its programming (although, it shouldn't for a TV).

I haven't re-connected the 44 to sat yet, so I can't get to those screens, but I seem to recall now setting the original RC involved on-screen programming and power cycles. Somehow the RC was set into a trying codes-mode and when the AVR powered, then the right code was achieved.

(I believe this may be why some think the remote can power on and off an AVR. Technically, it can. But only during setup. Afterwards can only be used for volume and mute.)

Unfortunately, none of this helps R0am3r with the LG TV problem.

I also got a couple of those cheap 73's a few months back and initially was able to get the LG to work with it, then decided I didn't want it powering-off the TV and was able to set it for a different TV.

Since the revival of this thread, I've been unable to get it to control the LG. I think the remote may have to be completely reset and start over. I'm going to try this later. I know it can control the LG, and I should be able to figure out the correct code eventually.

Incidentally, I found out by accident the LG code controls an Element brand TV in another room with the RC6x remote.

P.S. What's that reset procedure to wipe the remote, again?

R0am3r likes this.
  17. R0am3r

R0am3r Legend

Sep 20, 2008
    After I ordered the RC73s, I somehow got the RC71 working. I have no idea why it started working, but it doesn't matter now. The RC73s worked the first time. Happy customer. And love my new LG OLED.

Rich - I didn't get the RC73B. I went cheap because I wasn't sure the 73 would solve my problem.

Rich likes this.
  18. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    To reset any remote.
    Press and hold the mute and select buttons until the light flashes 2 times ( as you are pressing the buttons those flashes do not count )
    Type in 981
    Done

R0am3r likes this.
  19. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    I just got a LG and connected to a H24 - I had a Vizo in that spot before and a Rc65 Remote Programed for it -- I went to program the remote for the RC65 and LG -- in the TV menu (h24) no LG is listed --However -MY RC65 Controls the TV volume and tuns the set on and off (without ) doing anything.

The LG Magic remote also works the H24 (guide) making really neat for me

R0am3r likes this.
  20. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Des Moines, IA
    10178 or 11758.

Brands that use the same code set Goldstar, LG, Vizio, Hisense, Rca, and proscan, and many others.

R0am3r, Rich and jimmie57 like this.