Remote Control Message in H24

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jimmie57, Aug 12, 2020.

1. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    This has an easy answer hopefully.
    I set up a new remote, Rc66x, for my son's receiver and it worked good. I also set it so that all volume commands goes to his Yamaha AVR.

Since then, every time the receiver is turned on, it shows a message,
    Found New Hardware
    Program Remote
    Don't show me this again
    I tried reprogramming the Remote for the TV but
    did not do the AVR because it is a partial works condition, No help,
    I tell it every day Don't show me this again.

But, it pops up every single time the receiver is turned on.
    Is there a fix for this ?

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  2. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    I've been getting this message on the H25 for a long time.

It has to do with devices connected through HDMI.

Mine runs through a splitter, one going to the TV and the other used for various other devices.

Every time there is anything connected to the second port of the splitter (even the same device as before) that message (nag) will pop up.

It really doesn't care whether you program the remote or not.

It seems to "think" there's a new device (like a TV or AVR) every time something other than or addition to the TV is connected or re-connected.

The only solution I can think of is to connect the H24 directly to the TV (and nothing else) and leave it that way.

If you still get the nag then there could be something the H24 doesn't "like" about that particular TV.

(For whatever it's worth, I've occasionally gotten the nag from an old HR21 when connecting its HDMI to something different than the way I usually leave it.)

Dishdude714 likes this.
  3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Thanks
    The system is H24 to Yamaha via HDMI, to TV via HDMI. It has been that way from day 1, never been different.
    Oh well, not that hard to press down arrow 2 times and Select to make it go off the screen.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I might have found the problem but will not know until tomorrow when it gets turned on again.
    I checked to see if the HDMI control was set to ON and it was. I assume the software update did this but his Yamaha does not have that feature or any of the other names associated with HDMI Control.

In the past is has always been set to OFF.
    Will post again tomorrow for what it does or does not do.

5. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    ---

Good idea to check that. Never occurred to me to even look into that as a possibility. I'm going to check that as well next time I power that system up.

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Good idea to check that. Never occurred to me to even look into that as a possibility. I'm going to check that as well next time I power that system up.

7. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Well, apparently mine's been set to "off" the whole time.

Got the nag last night after connecting another piece of equipment, then again today powering up after the removal of the second piece of equipment.

It seems that any change in the HDMI chain will set off that nag (at least in my situation).

Not sure what might've changed in yours if the connection has always been the same. Probably the firmware or something else.

(It's been doing that for several years here, so I just got used to it.)

8. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I did an experiment this morning.
    I turned the system on and did not choose anything from that message.
    10 minutes later it was off the screen.
    That time could be less but it was 10 minutes before I went to it to check it.

9. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Good to know.

Probably explains why I can't get the channel to change when I don't have the TV on.

Occasionally I use the H25 connected to a wireless (analog) audio transmitter to provide music to another room and have a music channel on.

If I try to type the channel in, the light blinks with the button pushes, but when I get to the other room and turn the speakers on, I find the channel had not changed. I'm guessing that nag is probably why.

(I'll probably pull out the HDMI next time I don't want the TV on and use the H25 for music.)

Suffice to say, that nag is unnecessary and completely annoying.

And like I said earlier, it doesn't seem to care whether you program the remote or not. It still pops up with any change in the HDMI.

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Since I knew it was less than 10 minutes to go away, I stood there and watched it today. The messages goes away on it's own at the 5 minute mark.

11. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    I just re-read your original post and that got me to thinking...

Since your problem seemed to start with the use of a new remote, that could quite possibly be the original "trigger" for this problem.

I thought back and realized those nags started popping up for me when I started using a new RC73 remote with the H25 receiver.

(I had also tried several times to program the remote, but it never made the nag go away.)

However, the subsequent appearance of the nag is always triggered (in my case) by a change in the HDMI connections.

Maybe there's another solution out there.