Remote DVR Recording

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by GaryK, May 10, 2016.

1. GaryK

GaryK Mentor

Jul 9, 2002
    I have had a 622 for a long time. A long time ago, I was able to look at what I had recorded and record a show remotely. I believe it was a web app.
    This feature does not exist anymore. Dish forces you to go to a 722 or Hopper with a Sling adapter. I called tech support and they said that web access was never available. All I want to do is remotely tell my receiver to record a program again.
    Was this pulled for any good reason?

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Sometimes Dish has pulled support for some features on older models to encourage customers to upgrade to newer equipment. Sling, for example, was disabled on the 922 receivers at some point for similar reasons.

3. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    Huh? I just slinged into my 922 w/ out issue. Allthough OnDemand, Weather app & Blockbuster no longer work. The price of the 922 has severly dropped. $99 now. Good indication that it is being discontinued.

I thought the 622 was a vip server? And if so, can u not use the 'dish anywhere' app?

4. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Sling still works if you had an activated 922 on your account before they disabled the Sling... but I don't think you can activate a 922 anymore and get Sling capability on it. I'm pretty sure I remember reading this a while back.

5. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    hmm, well that begs my next question: What if your 922 craps out as it is prone to do, can u then activate another 922 in its place as a replacement? I would think as long as u'r replacing an existing receiver, it "should" work the same w/ all the same features. I know Dish won't ship you a 922 but they are still available for sale on a few websites, an dirt cheap too $99.

6. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I doubt it. I think activating a different 922 even to replace a failed one would be shot down... and the Dish solution would be to try and convert you to newer hardware, most likely a Hopper 3 setup. Old stuff eventually gets faded out... even good old stuff.