remote for samsung streaming

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by quynh, Jul 2, 2021.

1. quynh

quynh New Member

Jul 2, 2021
    i have a samsung un55kv6270fxza smart tv. is there a remote for pluto tv or any other streaming services. my tv remote only switches channels one by one. I need functions like switching channels by number, last channel, favorites list, etc...

I tried using my smart phone with the pluto app when signed in, but that didnt work. I want to avoid buying wole packages like roku just for the remote functionality. can i just buy the streaming device remote and use that

does the streaming service have to have those remote functionalities built it? if so, which services have it and which ones don't

also, does streaming devices have better picture quality than smart tvs? i have 100 mbps connected via ethernet and its a little blurry compared to cable

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  2. Carson

Carson New Member

Jul 5, 2021
    Actually, if you already have a smart TV, you don't need a streaming device. However, I never rely on my built-in streaming apps. I usually use Oath Kodi that goes with my Firestick. Here it is How to Install The Oath Kodi Addon. And I can say, that the quality is indeed better. Also, the native streaming interface is much slower. But if you're satisfied with your Smart TV, you can search for universal TV remotes. They are usually sophisticated and have all needed features.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    That depends on the TV app and the TV's default remote control. If the service offers channel numbers but the app doesn't support them (or the remote doesn't feature number keys), it is all for naught. Samsung's default remote has 15 buttons (give or take) and none of them are digits.

If, as seems to be the case with many streaming services, only certain device apps support a feature like Dolby Atmos or HDR, use of the TV app may diminish the experience.

Carson likes this.
  4. wmb

wmb Godfather

Dec 17, 2008
    Hey, I have that TV. It’s a 2016 Samsung. It has YouTube Tv, HBO Max, ESPN, and a few other apps. It’s old enough that you’ll need a streaming device for most apps. I use an Apple TV I had before I bought the TV.

On the Home Screen, you can pin channels you watch a lot. It has a guide. But, the remote itself is pretty limited. That said, it’s consistent with the standard remote for most streaming devices… a touch ring, select, home, back, pause, stop/pause button.

There is a Pluto app for the TV. The remote should work just like most of the remotes for streaming devices. Don’t get a streaming device just for that.

BTW, the remote for a streaming device will only work with the device. You can’t just buy a remote.

Not sure I understand what you are looking for here

Not that I’ve noticed. If you are streaming Pluto, much of its content is older SD, and upconversion to HD may be the issue? I don’t watch Pluto much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. quynh

quynh New Member

Jul 2, 2021
    ty for replies im prolly gonna use a android tv box with kodi or roku by itself. since those options seemingly has better performance and features than smart tv.

quynh said:
    does the streaming service have to have those remote functionalities built it? if so, which services have it and which ones don't
    Not sure I understand what you are looking for here

i meant is it possible for kodi or roku to directly put streaming service channels, eg anime channel from pluto tv, into a favorite channel list. also is there a previous/last channel feature

6. wmb

wmb Godfather

Dec 17, 2008
    The Kodi or Roku will use an HDMI input. The TV recognizes the Apple TV as the device in the HDMI port, but I don’t know if it will do the save for those devices. You will select the input from the Home Screen. You will then use the device directly.

Go into settings and tell it to do HDMI control (I think it’s HDMI-CEC in the Samsung). This will add volume control and on/off with the device through the device’s remote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk