Remote problems on HR20-100

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jbrychka, Oct 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbrychka

jbrychka New Member

Jun 8, 2007
    For the last three weeks I have been having issues with the remote being non-responsive.

It will work for 2 to 3 days and then stop responding on screens like the guide, playlist and settings. It seems to work with the menu screen but then when I get into the screens above, it doesn't work and you can't get out of that screen. The only way around it is to press the reset button or wait until the screen times out and goes back to live TV. However, until you reboot you still have the problem with those screens.

I had the esata drive hooked up but I disconnnected when this started happening but it didn't fix the problem.

2. miksmi21

miksmi21 Legend

Jan 19, 2007
    Do yourself a favor, call up D* and order up an RF64 remote. Works 1000 times better than the one that comes with the unit.

3. jbrychka

jbrychka New Member

Jun 8, 2007
    Thanks for the recommendation but it's not the remote. I tried with both my Harmony remote and the HR20 remote and neither one would work.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    When this happens go over to the front panel and see if it will navigate from there. If it doesn't then it's time for a replacement I think.

5. ChrisB81

ChrisB81 New Member

Jun 18, 2007

Any ideas on what to do if the receiver will navigate fine from the front panel. I have just started experiencing this issue with the -100 this week. Very frustrating!

6. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    If it works from the front panel but not the remote, the two options are either the remote is defective or the remote receiver circuits are in the receiver.
    You might try to change from IR to RF or the other way to see if it will function.

7. samberger

samberger AllStar

Jan 8, 2006
    I had the same problem that came from nowhere, and this fixed it. Thanks very much!

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Edmund has taught me everything I know about remotes.

Today I added and swapped some receivers around. After I don't know how long:
    Reset remote by following the screen using I think it was 980.
    The followed the screen for AV1 & AV2 for DirecTV receivers, no go. Screen says to use 00002. Remembered Edmund's posts: 00001 & 00003. used 00001 and everything works. One HR-20, one HR21, & one H21 all off the same remote.

9. Nov 1, 2007 #9 of 10
    wipeout

wipeout Icon

Jul 15, 2003
    I have an HR-20 700 ans recently the remote that came with the unit as well as my Harmony have been unresponsive, multiple pushes to get the unit to respond. Very frustrating.

10. annenoe

annenoe Cool Member

Oct 11, 2006
    Same thing with my HR20-700. Remote stops working (both original and Harmony) and no response from front panel. The only solution was reboot. Really sucks when you're recording or watching buffered content.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.