1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote recording capability

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dervari, Nov 19, 2009.

1. dervari

dervari Icon

Dec 1, 2005
    Has anyone heard of any upcoming abiliy to schedule all recordings from a single DVR and have the recordings schedule among all available DVRs? That would be an incredible feature.

2. Clemsole

Clemsole Godfather

Sep 8, 2005
    Washington...
    Not really, I surley do not evething I record on the livingroom dvr also being recorded on the other two dvr's and vice versa, They would all be filled up in about two days. I like it the way it is now.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I agree that it would be great... but it's not something that's available right now.

4. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    this is not recording the same things on every dvr, its having 1 unit know where an available tuner is to record with.

5. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    While not from a DVR, isn't remote scheduling from the internet quite similar to this already? I agree, it would be a nice feature (but could really confuse the casual user).

As I recall, I can go to the scheduling site on the internet and tell it to record any given program to any DVR. The only difference I see is putting this feature inside a DVR. I'm leaning toward jealously guarding available resources inside these boxes for "mission critical" or "core" DVR functions.

(Although the convenience gained from being able to do it directly from the couch is impressive):)

6. opelap

opelap Legend

Nov 4, 2006
    I would see this as a great feature of an multi room viewing system.

If I can watch a show from any DVR, then I should be able to record a show to any DVR.

Basically MRV should turn your DVRs into one big, multi-tuner, DVR.

7. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    The Replay DVR's had that capability and since DirecTV purchased the Replay patents who knows, maybe that feature will show up some day.

8. dervari

dervari Icon

Dec 1, 2005
    No. What I am talking about is having all your DVRs work as one big "virtual" DVR with a number of tuners available for recording. After recording, regardless of the physical DVR that it is stored on, anyone can watch it from anywhere.

9. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Ahhhh...I see. You're looking for a combination of Remote Scheduling and MRV (Multi-Room Viewing).