1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote TV Viewing - DirecTV late to the party?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by pcguru83, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Sep 4, 2010 #1 of 10
    pcguru83

pcguru83 Cool Member

Aug 8, 2007
    I've heard a lot the last few months about the "remote TV" or "TV Anywhere" features that several of DirecTV's competitors have rolled out. Dish Network obviously has the Sling-enabled DVR. AT&T U-verse has (or will shortly have) the ability to watch shows from an iPhone (and I'm guessing PC). I believe I also heard about plans that Comcast has for an iPhone app or way to view On Demand shows via your computer.

Seems the best we get from DirecTV is a somewhat flaky way to watch shows on your own network via DirecTV2PC. I've been playing around with it a bit this week, and while it is cool, it seems incomplete at best. Give me that on my iPhone and then we're really talking.

Have there been any rumblings/rumors/announcements about similar functionality from DirecTV? Seems a lot of companies are moving in this direction, and I can't wait to see something like this offered right from the source.

2. Sep 4, 2010 #2 of 10
    Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    Nothing on the horizon in the near future in terms of "remote viewing" access. My suggestion is to add a slingbox or hava to your existing direcTV unit and have the best of well----everything....

That's exactly what I have been enjoying for years....Access from anywhere on a pc, mac, iPhone, iPod Touch, Windows Mobile OS enabled phone, symbian or blackberry, etc.....

3. Sep 4, 2010 #3 of 10
    xmetalx

xmetalx Godfather

Jun 3, 2009
    Based on the direction D* has taken so far with MRV/DECA/mediashare/Directv2pc and RVU in the future, it wouldn't really be too difficult for them to make this a reality.. I'd be willing to bet money it's in the near future (~1 year). Note this is pure speculation, I don't have any inside info about this :)

4. Sep 4, 2010 #4 of 10
    gootz

gootz Cool Member

Nov 28, 2008
    You could always buy a slingbox. I watch my directv on my iphone all the time.

5. Sep 4, 2010 #5 of 10
    Mark Walters

Mark Walters Legend

Sep 21, 2009
    So what you're saying is you have inside information and you're willing to bet money. Ok, who is your source? How do you know this inside information? Tell us! :lol:

6. Sep 4, 2010 #6 of 10
    xmetalx

xmetalx Godfather

Jun 3, 2009
    Haha, nope. Only speculation. But, it's at least an educated guess based on what D* has accomplished so far, and what we know about the path of RVU Alliance...

7. Sep 4, 2010 #7 of 10
    ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    It sounds like this might be on their radar.. Soon maybe?

8. Sep 4, 2010 #8 of 10
    Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    History has spoken. If D*'s competitors have it, D* is working on getting it.

9. Sep 4, 2010 #9 of 10
    cherry919

cherry919 Cool Member

Jun 25, 2010
  10. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006