1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote with ONKYO equipment

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jcporter, Oct 29, 2008.

1. jcporter

jcporter New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Old Remote with TIVO unit allowed me to use volume up and down on my Onkyo stereo receiver. New remote with DTV DVR unit cannot seem to do the same thing.

Has anyone else had difficulties with their DTV DVR Remotes not operating Onlyo equipment?

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    As per our custom, I'm moving discussion of remotes to the DIRECTV general forum.

3. shedberg

shedberg Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    Yes. I had trouble as well but not with the volume - just turning it on and off. I finally gave in and bought a Harmony 670 remote and love it. It works everything, correctly.

You can get one for around $80. They may go down in price around Christmas though.

4. DarinC

DarinC Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2004
    As shedberg aluded, they will control the volume, they just have an issue with power. The problem is, the instructions tell you to test for the right code using the power button. One of the codes does work for volume, you just need to test using the volume button instead of the power button. I can't remember for sure, but I want to say power may work in one direction or the other (on or off), but I may have that confused with another component. But volume definitely works.

5. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    If you have a newer onkyo that uses a single power key, and have the rc64 use code 31805 for both on & off power of the onkyo receiver.

If you have an old onkyo, you're stuck with either on or off, not both. Code 30135 has ON, where 30842 has OFF

The volume keys NEVER work initially with ANY audio code, reason is the volume keys won't work at all without a tv code programmed to the tv device, once there is a tv code its volume is now in the way, remedy that:

1. av1 or av2
    2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
    3. enter 9 9 3
    4. press VOL DOWN

If you want the onkyo volume in ALL devices:

1. av1 or av2
    2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
    3. enter 9 9 3
    4. press SELECT

6. waynebtx

waynebtx Hall Of Fame

Dec 24, 2006
    Kingsville,T...
    Harmony 880 remote works great

7. jcporter

jcporter New Member

Aug 13, 2008

Thanks for the response...sorry to respond in kind at such a late date.

I'd spent a good bit of frustrating time with the on /off problem. One code shuts it all down...but doesn't turn anything on. The other code turns it on...but won't shut anything off.

With the old tivo unit i was using the Onkyo remote simply to turn the stereo system on and off...I could run everything else (stereo volume) through the regular tivo peanut. I really didn't mind that since the Onkyo remote was simply for on / off.

This new remote / DTV DVR has got me a bit crazy. Honestly, after goofing with it a few minutes a night for several nights...i just gave in and was using the onkyo for on / off / volume...and the DTV remote for channels etc.

Maybe I'll revisit it and see if I can't at least get the volume through the new DTV remote....that would be a significant inprovement.

thanks!

JP