Removing STBs & Whole Home Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by thekochs, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Jan 4, 2017 #1 of 23
    thekochs

thekochs DirecTV 10yr+ Customer

Oct 7, 2006
    OK,

I have Genie (HR44) and three minis.
    I also have two HR24s.....note: to keep to 8 tuners on SWM one of HR24s only has 1 Tuner active.
    All HR44 & HR24s are connected thru Whole Home.
    I no longer need the HR24s and want to cancel them with DTV.....save $$$ on my bill.
    I will be left with HR44/Genie and three Minis.
    Questions...........
    1) I assume I can also cancel the Whole Home $3 monthly charge ?
    2) Do all I need to do is remove the coax cable from the HR22s to the splitter ?
    I have extra terminations caps I can screw into where those coax cables.
    3) On Genie there are 5 MPEG encoders/decoders.
    I know live TV take 1 each.....and recording show takes 1 each.
    If you are viewing a pre-recorded show does it consume 1 ?
    4) Anything else ?

Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Thx !!!!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  2. Jan 4, 2017 #2 of 23
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Many here would say keep the HR24s and dump the minis. The minis feed off the HR44 Genie and should the Genie die, you're without TV until it gets replaced.
    1 - You will still have to pay the Whole Home fee. Even if you have just the HR44 Genie and no other devices, that fee is required.
    2 - you can remove the cabling if you want, but you might leave it in place in the event you want to move a device temporarily to that location. You probably should disconnect the coax at the splitter and use the termination caps.

Anything else? Yes. Did you do the install or did DIRECTV? If it was them, they should have upgraded your system so ALL tuners on your HR24s worked. So if you keep the 24s, call them and have them come out and upgrade your system to work. Most likely they'll install a 13-tuner LNB.

As long as the HR24s are working fine, I'd disconnect two minis and put the 24s where the minis are located. But it depends on how many people in your house and your watching habits. If you have 4 people in your house (1 at the HR44 and 1 each watching a mini), then I think you can only also be recording 1 show during that time. So if multiple people with different viewing tastes, keep the 24s.

3. Jan 4, 2017 #3 of 23
    fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    As long as you have the HR44, you must have Whole Home. If you want to get rid of the Whole Home fee, then you must get rid of the HR44 and the minis. You could keep the HR24s, and add H24s to replace the minis, but you would not be able to watch recordings except from the TVs that are connected to the HR24s (and you can only watch the recordings that are on that HR 24).

Personally, I would keep the HR44, HR24s, pay the Whole Home fee, and eliminate the minis. You will save $5 per month per location you eliminate.

4. Jan 4, 2017 #4 of 23
    Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I agree with the others. There is no money to be saved by getting rid of the HR24's rather than the minis. Therefore, I'd get rid of the minis and maintain the ability to record 8 things at once, if I ever needed to do so.

5. Jan 4, 2017 #5 of 23
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    $7. Not $5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Jan 4, 2017 #6 of 23
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Depends on how much he records and how many people are in the house. Do you use the hr24s to record now at all? Or are they just there so you can watch things recorded on the genie?

You might try unplugging the power on the two hr24s and see how you get along without them first for a week or two and then make a decision based on your useage.

7. Jan 4, 2017 #7 of 23
    thekochs

Oct 7, 2006
    Guys....GREAT inputs.....

All the STBs are in downstairs rack and feed TVs around the house....so easy to feed whatever STB to whichever TV.
    The two HR24s are for the two kids......so, YES my concern was only 5 MPEG versus 8 MPEG impact.
    Since I can't save the Whole Home $3 then I can save the $7 x 2 a month for removal of the minis.

Only other question.........both LIVE TV & Recording consuming a MPEG....but viewing a pre-recorded does not consume one, correct ?

8. Jan 4, 2017 #8 of 23
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I've not heard a tuner referred to as "MPEG". But I think that is what you mean. If so, yes, watching something off a DVR uses one of it's tuners.

But you need to contact DIRECTV and tell them that one of your HR24s isn't using both of it's tuners. They should fix it free and then you'll have nine tuners. (Unless you're in the north, have snow on your roof and your dish is mounted there, it should be a quick fix for them. )

9. Jan 4, 2017 #9 of 23
    thekochs

Oct 7, 2006
    Sorry old techy here............"tuners" in the "day" (still are) MPEG encoder/decoder.
    "Tuners" were "in the day" were not MPEG since "in the day" there was not MPEG.....tuners were analog tuners.....but things have changed.
    Anyway, so the STB uses a "tuner" (in my case 1 of 8) for LIVE TV & RECORDING a show but you say it also uses 1 of the 8 tuners for watching a pre-recorded show off the DVR ?
    This kind of goes to my point of calling it MPEG.....meaning MPEG decoder/encoder versus tuner......I was hoping that "playback" from DVR used another resource.

As far as going from 8 to 9 the dish is on the roof on very step grade and they would have to run more cables......only has one for SWM.
    I'm guessing new dish, new LNB & new cables all going to new 13-tuner.
    Not worth the hassle for one more tuner.

Thx for all the inputs and my last item is a RANT on DTV pricing.......it really ticks me off how this is done..........
    * I pay for a programming service a month....call it $80.....I get this.....for my "channels".
    * I then pay to "rent" the DTV equipment.....I guess I kind of get that since not like a cell phone each home can have much more than 1-per.

.....now my ticked off items..........
    * I ALSO pay for DVR Service....$10 a month......am I not paying to rent the DVR already ?
    * I ALSO pay $7.99 for a protection plan for just these same STB/DVR units I'm ALREADY paying for on a per unit basis.
    This is so they don't charge me to roll a truck to fix one of their own hardware issues so I don't cancel my $80/month programming service ? Crazy to me.
    * I ALSO pay for HD Service....$10 a month.....really ?.....today HD is a premium...can you even buy SD TVs ?
    My point is these charges overlap and are redundant.......I feel like I'm being double a tripled charged....that's $27 a month = $324 year.
    I live in Atlanta and can't wait until Google Fiber deploys in mass Plans and Pricing – Atlanta – Google Fiber .......I get to get rid of DTV & Comcast.
    Even with the leases and fees your bills will be half of DTV + Comcast combo....not to mention Gbit speed & Terabyte Online storage.

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The 13-tuner SWM LNB only has one wire feeding your system.

However, DIRECTV has started to follow OSHA regulations and have cracked down on their installers. They can't leave the ladder to access the dish unless they follow OSHA Fall Protection requirements. So if your dish can't be reached from a ladder, then it does add another level of 'hassle' to the install.

11. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    For the record, watching a recording program from the DVR will not consume a SWM channel but will consume a streaming channel which the Genie has three and a dual tuner DVR has one when using whole home.

So in theory your can be recording five shows on your Genie and be watching four the separate recordings one on the Genie plus the on the clients.

12. thekochs

Oct 7, 2006
    That is what I was wondering.......so let me outline this different way with regards to my setup.
    (1) Genie / HR44 + (3) Minis
    (2) HR24 DVRs

Genie has 5 "Tuners" for Live TV & Recording + 3 Streaming Channels for Recorded Playback.
    So in a Genie only scenario you could for example have 5 recordings going and 3 playbacks going same time ?

I assume the Minis only get video streamed "to them"......dumb boxes...meaning they use the Genie Tuners & Streamers ?

HR24s have 2 "Tuners" & 1 "Streamer"....meaning as stand alone they can for example record 2 shows while playback of 1 ?
    In the Whole Home with the Genie.....does a "stream" of a recorded show located on the Genie consume a Genie "Streamer" or a HR24 "Streamer" if the HR24 is watching a show recorded on the Genie ?

In the scenario outlined above by the posters....ie, get rid of two of the Minis.....keep the HR24s.....I lose nothing that I don't have today.
    In other words 8 tuners (5+2+1).....4 streamers (3+1+1) ? .....given the 8 could be 9 if I got update done.

13. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I don't like to use the word "streamer" because it can get confusing. So all DIRECTV DVRs have the advertised amount of tuners to watch and/or record live TV plus a network to tuner which allows to do VOD. So with a Genie you can record 5 shows plus watch one show from VOD for a total of six concurrent live "streams" while at the same time the Genie can serve 3 clients of any kind, be them RVU clients (STB to TVs) or a Mobile DVR client or another DIRECTV receiver and/or DVR.

A dual tuner DVR can only serve or connect to one client (receivers only no RVU) when the DVR acts as the "server". When a DVR is feeding or getting a feed from another DVR it can't connect to any other receiver either as a client or server.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    You pay the same monthly amount to rent a DVR as you would pay for any other receiver (including an SD unit). DirecTV could choose to charge a higher monthly fee for DVR's. But they don't. They have an account level DVR fee. This decision probably benefits people with multiple DVR's while costing more for people who only have one DVR. In this case, I definitely prefer DirecTV's methodology to that of most cable companies, who charge a higher rental fee for each DVR.

If you're looking to save money, the protection plan is the first thing that you should get rid of. How many times have you actually needed a truck roll? Since becoming a DirecTV customer in 1996, I've only paid for one $50 truck roll. This was because I had a new roof installed, shortly after having some trees cut down, and wanted DirecTV to install a new dish in a location that would be easier for me to access during snow storms. I've also paid one $20 fee to have a replacement DVR shipped to me. That's a total of $70 over 20 years. That's less than 9 months of the cost of the protection plan. The way that I look at it, by not having the protection plan, I'm 19 years and 3 months ahead of the game.

15. thekochs

Oct 7, 2006
    Thx for all the inputs.............

Question....I recall when I got the Genie I had to link the Minis to it.
    Prior to (or do I wait for them to de-activate first ?) me calling DTV and cancelling the two Minis do I need to "un-link" them from the Genie ? If so, how/where do I do this ? ......assume in Genie MENU somewhere.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  16. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    When DIRECTV removes the minis from your account you will immediately get a screen on the Genie to delete them from it.

17. thekochs

Oct 7, 2006
    Good idea.............question.....the $7.99 protection plan is only for the truck roll or the mailing charge to send new unit ?
    In other words.......one of the STB (HR24, Genie, Mini) crashes and they need to send new box in mail I don't pay for the box or something ?
    This goes back to my comment about already "leasing" the boxes as extra charge.
    I get that if technician has to come to house I pay.....but I'm pretty techy.....so just need the new equipment sent & I can hookup.

18. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Correct, you don't pay to replace defective equipment, you may pay for the shipping, though.

19. thekochs

Oct 7, 2006
    OK...I de-activated the two minis......left the third. DTV CSR had me put them as "long term vacation"....she said no penalty to do this and the hardware would still be at my home in case I want to re-activate.
    When DIRECTV removes the minis from your account you will immediately get a screen on the Genie to delete them from it.
    It has been ~30minutes since I called DTV CSR and I have the Genie & all three Minis turned on......no message to remove yet.....and Whole Home Network Summary on Genie still shows all three Minis there....and I can control them on TVs still.

I also cancelled the protection plan.

So, one item I need to do (since I am hooking up Component Video splitter to drive the extra TVs off the Genie port) is to copy the RC72 Genie remote.
    How do I "copy" a RC72 remote......I have two TV locations that now need to control the Genie that were the two minis.....so copy the Genie RC72 remote (it is in RF mode) to two other RC72s.
    The RC72s that need to be changed controlled the minis and are in RF mode.

Thx.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  20. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Take the remote into the room with the Genie. Press the mute and Enter buttons on the remote and hold them to Pair this remote to that receiver. Do not mistake the Enter button for the Select button that is used on the older remotes.