1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

renewing my 2 year contract.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mastrauckas, May 26, 2010.

1. mastrauckas

mastrauckas AllStar

Oct 2, 2008
    It will be 2 years in August that I've had Direct TV. I have HR21-100 and two D11-100. I'm wanting to upgrade one of my D11-100 receivers to a H2X receiver and was wondering will Direct Tv give me it for free if I sign a new 2 year contract?

2. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    You never know until you ask (them), but since you asked here, I doubt it.

3. mastrauckas

mastrauckas AllStar

Oct 2, 2008
    thanks.

4. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    It's a new 2 year contract whether they give it to you for free or charge you all or part of the upfront lease price. All you can do is ask what the best deal is that they can offer.

5. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    You can go online and check your account to see what offers they have for you. I have been with D for many years and out of contract for at least a couple and I have not seen a "free" upgrade offer in a while. Mine goes back and forth between $49 and $99. Like raoul5788 says, call. You might be pleasantly suprised.

6. mastrauckas

mastrauckas AllStar

Oct 2, 2008
    Where on the website do they have the offers?

7. Dazed & Confused

Dazed & Confused Godfather

Jun 13, 2007
    I think you have it backwards. Generally if you buy the receiver, you get the 2 year commitment for free.:D

8. mastrauckas

mastrauckas AllStar

Oct 2, 2008
    Or I just don't buy a receiver and not have a contract after August.

Also, anyone know when the TiVo boxes are coming out and what the difference between the TiVo HD boxes and HRx boxes?

9. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    All the avaialble info for the HD Tivo available here
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=174544

10. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    In my experience if you are a good customer and pay your bills on time they will most likely give you a discount on equipment upgrades in order to get you into a new 2 year agreement. I personally just got a free HD-DVR a couple of months ago as my 2 year agreement would have been up last month otherwise.

11. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    In late July I'd do a little shopping around BEFORE you call DirecTV and ask for a "deal" on a receiver upgrade. Call your cable company and DISH network to see what they have to offer....and make notes of their offers.

THEN call DirecTV and see what they have to offer you. If they don't upgrade your receiver for free I'd ask to be transferred to the "retention" department and see what they can do, reminding them that your commitment is ending and you have been shopping around.

I bet you get an upgrade for free... ;)

12. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    You have to log in first. Click on light grey equipment tab at the top of the page. then choose the HDDVR tab. Place one in your shopping cart to see the final price. My "good cutomer" price went back up to $99. Others are reporting free upgrades. Check the website and see what they are offering. If its not free give them a call. You can't win if you don't play.:D

13. mastrauckas

mastrauckas AllStar

Oct 2, 2008
    Thanks for everyones help. Everyones been helpful!

14. mastrauckas

mastrauckas AllStar

Oct 2, 2008
    It says $199.00. Guess I'm not a good customer even though I always pay my bills on time? Must be because at the beginning of my contract I use to call and complain allot because they always got my bill wrong.

15. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    As much as it sucks, when you have billing problems, even if they are DirecTV's fault, any credits they give you as corrections to those problems (not necessarily even "here's something for your trouble" credits, but possibly credits of amounts they overcharged that were given to make things right) show up on their 'good customer calculation' method (whatever that is) as credits. Too many credits tends to lower your rating. :(

16. mastrauckas

mastrauckas AllStar

Oct 2, 2008
    What a great algorithm they have there.

17. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    If you can wait check online again around August. It wouldnt surprise me if you became a "real good "customer just about the time your contract ends.;):D