1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replace 2 H24 with H54 Genie HD DVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Gsobon, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Gsobon

Gsobon New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Hi,

I have 2 separate H24 receivers that are showing their age and would like to replace them with 2 Genie H54 HD DVR's. Their location really prohibits using a Genie wireless on the second TV so I need 2 receivers. I have a SL5 LNB with 2 cables going to each H24 receiver to account for all 4 cables out of my LNB. I do not have 4K TV's.

My question is can I do a straight swap of receivers, or do I need a new Dish/LNB? Also, can it be done by myself or does it need to be done by a professional installer? Do I need any special equipment (besides a new LNB if necessary) like splitters or such if I switch to the new Genies?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    First are those DVRs? If so it’s HR24 not H24 as those are non dvr receivers...

I assume they are DVRs so...

You can not have multiple hr54. But you can do one hr54 and one mini genie client. It would net you one more tuner than you have today plus total control of your recordings at both locations instead of being split in half and having to go back and forth between both tvs like you do today.

You could have them upgrade you to a genie 2 and that would move you to seven tuners instead of the five a hr54 has... you are at four today.

If you are running two coax to each tv now then your system wiring will have to change. You will want them to come do it and they will swap the lnb on the dish and install the proper splitter to make your system work properly. The good news is no new cables will have to be run, you actually have more than you will need.

3. Gsobon

Gsobon New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Sorry for the confusion...yes they are both HR24's. Thanks for the reply! My concern is that wirelessly the two TV's are too far apart and with too many walls, floors in between to get a signal from the Genie receiver to its client. I'm new to all this so how does the Genie connect to a client over a wired connection?

Thanks in advance.

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Assuming you're not moving anything from where it is now, the new equipment will use the same wiring. If they tell to use wireless, tell them 'no'.

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Totally agree. You do not have to go wireless and I would not allow them to move me to wireless. It will work just fine wired. With the genie and mini.

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    An HR54 and a client, or an HS17 and two clients, will work perfectly for you. There is no reason to even consider a wireless client, and you already have all the necessary wiring in place.

You could replace one HR24 with an HR54 and keep the other HR24, but personally I'd just go to the new system entirely. As noted above, you cannot have more than one Genie (HR44, HR54 or HS17) on an account, and also you cannot have an HS17 and any other H/HR device. If you go to an HS17, you can only have clients with it.

7. Aug 7, 2018 #7 of 16
    BigWayne

BigWayne New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Do you still have the old GUI on the HR24? If so, keep them as long as you can.

8. Aug 7, 2018 #8 of 16
    studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Only the Genies have the new GUI

9. Aug 7, 2018 #9 of 16
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I use a 44 and a 24 daily, it is a pleasure to use the 24. And the Progress Bar on the 24s...the PB that I complained about since its inception, is a breath of fresh air.

Rich

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I guess that falls under the adage 'the grass isn't always greener on the other side...' Or 'just when you thought it couldn't get worse'.

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, waited with great anticipation for the new GUI (must have been one of the last to get it) and I do like it but it does have faults. I really didn't think anyone could have made a more ridiculous Progress Bar than what you see on a 24 but there it is. Actually the PB itself is kinda what I had hoped for but the greatly expanded black background is awful. The PB doesn't really need to display the title of the content you're watching and the death star should go...then you'd have a PB much like what we see just about everywhere else, just a line with some numbers on it. I know what I'm watching and that death star hovering is annoying and unnecessary, I think. Why the developers couldn't copy the PB we all see on the Apple TV boxes is beyond me.

Rich

12. demyhhh

demyhhh New Member

Aug 8, 2018
    How do you find out which type you have, do I need to turn it over or can I find on the screen?

13. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Press and Hold the Info button on the remote for about 3 seconds. An information screen will pop up on the TV.
    Has the receiver model, serial number, software version and the date it was put in the receiver.

Bitterman likes this.
  14. demyhhh

demyhhh New Member

Aug 8, 2018
    I went to settings and have a HR44/200 receiver. Is this a good one?

15. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The HR44-200 is a reliable Genie server. Mine served me well before I upgraded to 4K.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Made by Samsung, don't have one but I've had other models made by Sammy and they have been very reliable. Might be as good as you can get.

Rich