Replace hr20 with Genie or hr24?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by flyaeger, Apr 13, 2015.

1. flyaeger

flyaeger New Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Morgan Hill, CA
    I currently have an hr20 and two hr24s on a whole home network. I can record on any of the three DVrs, and can see the list of all recorded shows and watch them on the hr20. I think I can replace the hr20 with an hr24 and keep the same functionality. But can I replace the hr20 with a Genie and keep the same functionality? I mean will I be able to record on the Genie and the two hr24s and see the list of recorded shows from all three DVrs on the Genie and watch them on the Genie. As an example, if I have Big Bang Theory recorded on one of the hr24s, I can see it listed on the hr20 and watch it on the hr20. Will I be able to do that if I replace the hr20 with a Genie. I also want to connect the Genie to my wireless network so I can watch on demand shows on it. Is the Genie the right choice for me or should I go with an hr24?

2. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    I just got a HR24 and I see my recordings on both my HR34 and the HR24. I can watch any show on any receiver.

1 person likes this.
  3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    A genie will do everything that the HR20 could do and more in your system. I recommend get the genie and never look back. There is no way I'd even consider a HR24 when you can get a genie.

1 person likes this.
  4. flyaeger

flyaeger New Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Great. Thanks for the reassurance.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    You will need an installer to go to the Genie, but I think it's worth it. Since you already have Whole Home, you won't have any price increase and will gain 3 tuners total among other improvements.