Replace HR22 Internal Drive

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Chemwise, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Chemwise

Chemwise New Member

Feb 22, 2012
    I've been reading the thread on using a SSD to improve DVR performance and I'm thinking about replacing the internal drive in my Owned HR22-100 with a 1 TB SSD.

The HR22 as been very slow for a while, so I've already deleted all of the recordings off of it and use other DVR's in the house. So I'm not interested in copying the contents of the internal drive. I just want to replace it with a SSD to try to improve the performance (and start using it more often).

So my question is, Is there anything special I need to do to replace the internal hard drive, or can I just replace it, let the HR22 reformat it and start using it again?

Thanks

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Nope. Just connect it instead of HDD, cross your fingers (who knows how old FW is tolerate to SSD functioning ?) and watch boot messages.

Please post the process here - you are second person who decide go for expensive SSD replacement.

Delroy E Walleye likes this.
  3. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    I've been using a less-expensive 500GB SSD (in a dock) on an old HR21.

Didn't really make it faster, just made it "usable" again. I would imagine similar for an HR22 (slowest reputation of HRs around here).

Maybe not even as much "improvement."

Only technical issues I've experienced is that the DVR locks up every 8 to 10 days (whereas it might've lasted up to several months (no restarts) with the HDD.

Could be anything from power surges to it simply doesn't get along as well.

At any rate, is still worth even the slight improvement to me. If nothing else, even "full" it boots a lot faster.

Rich likes this.
  4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You would be better off getting the 22 replaced with a 24. The 24s are much better than the 22s. But if you must keep it for some reason you can easily put an SSD on it. Read thru that thread and you'll see how many of us are using SSDs without problems. No, there's nothing special you have to do, the 22 will format the SSD without a problem.

Rich

5. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Why are you still struggling with a 21?

Rich

6. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    No struggle.

For starters, I don't like the UI on the 44.

I missed the boat on getting a decent 24. (Too bad your SSD solution wasn't thought of 5 years earlier, would've been too expensive then anyway...)

Nowadays I'd probably have to settle for an old beat-up one that may or may not work. Then trying to get it activated thru T?

No thanks. I'll just reset the 21 every other week. Less hassle.

7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I do that every time one of my HRs goes bad. I'm struggling with a just replaced 24-200, damn thing does some odd things. But that 24-200 has an SSD on it and it still works a lot better than a 21. I don't have any newer HRs. All of mine are refurbs as far as I know. Maybe the 44 that I bought here was new when the member I bought it from first got it but it never worked as well as it does now. And I stuck a brand new 3TB drive in that the day I got it. Still had all kinds of problems that I blamed on the firmware and all those problems went away when I stuck the SSD on it.

You have an SSD and an external device, why don't you swap out the 21 for a 24 and see what happens? Believe me, the 24s can be fixed for the most part.

Rich

8. Chemwise

Chemwise New Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Just to provide an update. I replaced the HR22 internal drive with a Samsung 1tb SSD this past weekend. So far it as made a noticeable difference. It's probably not as fast as an HR24, but it did eliminate most of the delays I was experiencing with the HR22.

It was well worth it.

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Please come back in 6 months with SMART data of the SSD - we are usually concern with shorter life of SSD in DVRs.

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You have far more patience than I do. I would have replaced the 22 but I'm glad you can see a difference in performance. Don't be put off by others who want to see the whole SSD thing fail. Haven't had any problems with my SSDs.

Rich