Replace VIP 622 DVR

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by gcotterl, Oct 26, 2018.

1. gcotterl

gcotterl New Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Last night, my VIP622 DVR got a "Hard Drive Error". After unplugging the DVR and plugged it again, it re-booted and re-acquired the satellites. The DVR seemed to be working OK but all of my recorded programs had been erased but the timers were still intact.

My current monthly bill includes:
    America's Top 200 (for $77.99)
    Local Channels (for $12.00)
    Equipment (Loyal Customer leased DVR) (for $7.00)
    Dish Movie Pack (for $10.00)
    DISH Protect Silver (for $8.99)
    Total $117.41

Doesn't the lease on the DVR cover replacement?
    What does DISH Protect do?

====================================

I chatted with a DISH agent. He said the VIP622 was an "old" model so he suggested getting a newer model (i.e., Hopper which would (keeping my current programming) increase my monthly bill to over $133.00 (!) and I'd have to commit to a 2-year contract).

Does anyone have any better suggestions?

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    With the 622, you had a dual tuner DVR that had 1 HD output and one SD output (over composite A/V or RF modulated).

To get the equivalent, you would need a Hopper / Hopper Duo with one Joey. Basically, one Joey for each TV away from the Hopper. If you watch OTA (antenna) for your local subchannels, you would also need a single or dual tuner dongle that goes into the Hopper.

Or - you could get 2 Wally's, pay a $40 one time fee and add an external hard drive to each and this would also get 2 TV's with DVR capabilty.

With other equipment, you could modulate the SD output on the Hopper to send it to other TVs. The flip side is that every TV would be watching the same thing, and all TV's except the Hopper attached one would be in SD.

You could also modulate the SD output on a Joey (same idea).

You have to decide how much you want to pay for.

3. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Leased receivers are owned by DISH so it should be replaced by DISH with at the most a shipping charge. With the age of the 622 you have a good chance that it would be replaced with a 722 or 722K. If OTA is important the 722K requires a tuner...

4. gcotterl

gcotterl New Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Will Dish replace my leased VIP622 DVR with a 722 or 722K free-of-charge (except for shipping) and with no increase in my monthly bill?

I don't have a OTA (Over the Air antenna). The Dish satellite dish on my roof receives all programs and sends the signal to my VIP622 DVR.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    sure

6. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Hold on a minute there -

Dish is probably starting to replace all the VIP series receivers with Hoppers - hence why his cost may be up. See my previous post in this thread on what he is likely to get.

7. gcotterl

gcotterl New Member

Jan 30, 2009
    So my choices are:

1. ONE 722
    2. ONE 722k
    3. ONE Hopper
    4. ONE Hopper Duo PLUS TWO Joeys (one for TV1 (in the same room as the DVR) and one for TV2 (in a different room)
    5. TWO Wallys (one for TV1 and one for TV2) PLUS TWO external hard-drives

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    One hopper serves one TV. Add one Joey for the second TV. You would not need two Joeys unless you have three TVs.

9. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Hopper Duo plus one Joey for 2 TVs. If you need 3 TV's, then a 2nd Joey with a regular Hopper or Hopper w/Sling or Hopper3.

10. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Call DISH to verify your options. The Hopper Duo is designed as a replacement for 622/722/722K so far it can only have one Joey connected so it is limited to 2 TV sets.

11. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    Do they still offer the 722K as a replacement option? All of the other options would increase the bill, wouldn’t they? For me, I use the 722K to power five TVs. I would probably go to a streaming service if my 722K needed to be replaced with a Hopper and Joeys.

12. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Dish wants you to use a receiver on each TV. If you want HD - You need a Hopper or Joey on each HDTV (HDMI input only on the Joeys, Hopper does have component available. composite A/V is available on both Hopper and Joey.)

Having said that, with the purchase of an external modulator(s), you could replace the 722 series with 1 Hopper and one Joey.
    If you want to do this, look at SolidSignal.com / smarthome.com and others that offer UHF modulators.

The other possible option would be to use some VIP211 series or a Wally to do much the same thing.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018