Replaced SONY 4K TV with LG 4K, AM21 No Longer Works

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by kxaz145, May 15, 2020.

1. kxaz145

kxaz145 New Member

May 1, 2008
    Nothing changed (that I know of) except swapping out the TV. The local (sub) channels show up in the guide, but I receive an error that the TV doesn't see them when they are selected?

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Did you bump a cable for the OTA antenna?

3. the future is now

the future is now AllStar

Jun 9, 2010
    Los Angeles
    my first thought is the HDMI cable as there are so many different ones out there. you are seeing something so that is not it. just call LG and they will fix it for you. i had to call Sony for a recent issue with losing my volume display, what they had me do, unplug my soundbar, then unplug my beautiful new tv, do a reset and so on. i would have never figured out on my own.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  4. coconut13

coconut13 Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    Is your new TV ATSC 3.0 compatible? If so, the AM21 being ATSC 1.0 compatible probably wouldn't work. Not many new model TV's are ATSC 3.0 compatible yet, but there are a few. This might be your problem.

5. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    ATSC 3.0 isn't back-compatible with 1.0 but would this matter? The AM21 feeds its signal to the DTV receiver, not the TV. The output from the DTV doesn't go through the TV's tuner so I can't see why it would matter which version of ATSC the TV's tuner supports. Am I missing something here?

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    No chance that is an issue. Am21 works with the genie and the genie sends a decided signal to the tv.

7. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Which model tv did you buy? And what exactly is the error shown on screen? Can you share a picture of it?

My guess is the usb cord was bumped and unplugged out of the back of the genie and so it’s not getting the am21 signal. I’d check all the cable connections.

Also make sure the people who hooked it up didn’t unscrew the coax from the am21 and screw it into the over the air coax input on the tv.

Rich likes this.
  8. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Did you try resetting up the AM21 as if you had just gotten it out of the box, scan for channels, etc ?