Replacement Activation

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dietamstel, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Apr 3, 2019 #1 of 32
    dietamstel

dietamstel New Member

Sep 28, 2007
    I was trying to get a replacement Genie activated last night to replace a Genie HR44 that had a hard drive failure on Sunday and after an hour and 45 minutes with various forms of so-called support on the phone, the activation could not be accomplished. They are sending out another replacement receiver out for another attempt. Side note, the customer service with AT&T has not even just gone downhill over what I used to experience with DTV, but it really is not existent. While waiting for my next replacement receiver, I took a look at my account online and under the "My Equipment" section where the receivers are listed, it appears there is a classification error. I was wondering if this might be the reason the activation failed as it does not have a "Genie HD DVR" listed, but rather two "Wired Genie Client" listed. Prior to the AT&T takeover of DTV, my receivers list was "Genie HD DVR" - Living Room, "Genie Mini"-Bedroom and "HD DVR"-A Master, (this is an old HR22 for recordings in case the main Genie failed). The current list is "Wired Genie Client"-Living Room, "Wired Genie Client"-Bedroom and "HD DVR"-A Master. I realize that I might be over thinking that the receiver classification might be the reason that the replacement Genie could not be activated, but after the night that I had with "support", I am looking for my reasons for their incompetence. Also, does a direct phone number for technical support exist? Thank you for reading my question/rant.

2. Apr 3, 2019 #2 of 32
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Did they send you another HR44? Are you other devices still working?

3. Apr 3, 2019 #3 of 32
    dietamstel

dietamstel New Member

Sep 28, 2007
    The unit sent for activation/replacement is a HR54 and that was the unit that could not be activated. Still waiting on the delivery of the next replacement receiver to try. I really think that it might be related to not having a Genie HD DVR listed anymore on my equipment that might be the issue as it is listed as a Wired Genie Mini. All receivers are working fine and we can view tv on the failed hard drive unit of HR44, which used to be listed as Genie HD DVR, but somehow that has been changed to Wired Genie Mini. Thanks.

4. Apr 3, 2019 #4 of 32
    njohn2121

njohn2121 Cool Member

Mar 25, 2010
    Iowa
    Even though it's listed as a "Wired Genie Mini", does the device RID match?

Regardless of what it is called, I don't believe they can activate it until the HR44 is de-activated, as DirecTV does not allow (2) Genies on one account.

5. Apr 3, 2019 #5 of 32
    b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    They had a hard time activating my HR54. It took two truck rolls in two weeks to get it activated. For the longest time they showed me as having two Genie's on my account at att.com (the HR54 and the HR44 it replaced). Just checked and they now finally have my equipment right. Only took them from last September to just recently.

6. Apr 3, 2019 #6 of 32
    dietamstel

dietamstel New Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Well, that makes sense with the not having/allowing two Genie on one account, but the ATT/DTV "support" did not even bring up that might be the issue to why I could not get the replacement to activate. My side concern is currently my account is not even showing a Genie HD DVR, but rather two Wired Genie Mini's and one older HR22. Their support is really lacking with any type of competence. It really should not this difficult and really should not make the customer feel at a loss in solving an issue that was cause by the failed hard drive on their equipment. Thanks for your inputs.

7. Apr 4, 2019 #7 of 32
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Guesstimate: When you tried to activate the 54, the 44 was deactivated and removed from the account. Failure to activate the 54 keeps it from showing on your account.
    ???????????

8. Apr 4, 2019 #8 of 32
    dietamstel

dietamstel New Member

Sep 28, 2007
    I don't think that they ever deactivated the HR44 as when the HR54 could not be activated and they said that they would send out another replacement for another attempt, I hooked back up the HR44 to have TV just no recording due to the fail hard drive and the HR44 continues to be used. According to the My Equipment section online, I do not have a Genie HD DVR only two Wired Genie Mini's. Hopefully, when the next replacement is received that there will be a Genie HD DVR listed on my account.

9. Apr 4, 2019 #9 of 32
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    As long as your original Genie is activated, they won't be able to activate a replacement.

Keep what ever replacement they sent you that is new (possible you're get a refurbished unit). When you call to activate it, make sure you tell them your 44 still is working so they need to deactivate it first. Hopefully this will work smoother this go-around.

BTW -- you asked for a replacement and they sent you a 54, correct? If it is a replacement, then it doesn't count as an upgrade and your contract isn't extended. If you said 'no, I don't like the 44 and want to upgrade', then you'll get a two year extension.

10. dietamstel

dietamstel New Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Thanks, trh. No extension in commitment as we were not getting an upgrade, but replacing the HR44 that experienced a failed hard drive on Sunday. And yes, the replacement that they sent was actually a refurbished HR54 for replacing the failed HR44. We will see what this next replacement ends up being and start the process with first the deactivation then onto the activation. My guess is that whoever is training the so-called support technical support is not listing all options as to why a customer's receiver can not be activated. I don't think that I have ever had this much difficultly back when it was only DTV and not under AT&T, but that was when I went from a HR34 to the HR44 and that would be a long time ago.

11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Now you know...ATT tech support is a joke. I went thru a several day ordeal getting a "refurbed" 24-500 activated. The folks at ATT finally gave up and routed my call to a real live D* CSR who couldn't believe how badly ATT had screwed up. He ended up sending out a guy who activated it in minutes. That "refurbed" 24-500 was in such bad shape I had to put an external drive on it and it still crashes every so often. I'd rather deal with that than call for a replacement.

Rich

12. dietamstel

dietamstel New Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Just a quick update, the 2nd replacement Genie never arrived and I check the online status for the order, naturally, it shows "Canceled". Of course it was not canceled by me. Looks like a fun Saturday dealing with the support again just to get a replacement receiver to activate. I will follow the suggestion above to deactivated the existing HR44 prior to trying the replacement activation. Really can not believe how bad this company has become.

13. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Whew..... I feel lucky. My HR 44 failed Tuesday night and I called DirecTV for a replacement Wednesday morning. They shipped a new.....actually I think a reconditioned.....HR 54 that arrived Thursday night. Waited until I had a couple of cups of coffee and pulled my AV case out to make the switch. Other than the normal hassle of activated the replacement all went well. Of course the return instructions on the shipping box are wrong or at least not current but a call to DirecTV and I guess I just have to take it to UPS and they supposedly know how to handle the return. CS rep didn’t speak great English and it was a marginal connection so I hope I understood her.

14. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I think taking it to a UPS Store is the most prevalent thing now. I took my last one to the UPS, they scanned it and gave me a receipt for it.

15. 242424

242424 AllStar

Mar 22, 2012
    I'm going on a month trying to get them to send a recovery kit or a return label, no joy.... No UPS or Fex-X store close to me.

16. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    They don't seem to do that anymore. Keep waiting and you'll get a notice your account has been sent to a collection agency.

Rich

codespy and 242424 like this.
  17. 242424

242424 AllStar

Mar 22, 2012
    Probably so. I can be a hardheaded SOB and I'll never pay. lol I won't drive 80 miles (round trip) to return it either :D

18. codespy

codespy The Pack is getting sacked!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    I did this 2 months ago. Go to Directv.com/recycle and it takes you to a webpage for the process. Give it to your USPS mail carrier. It worked for me.

242424 and Rich like this.
  19. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Have to say returning the receiver turned out to be easy. Luckily we have a UPS store about 2 miles from our house so I drove up there yesterday morning. Barely got in the door when the clerk said “You’ve got a DirecTV return? No problem.” He pulled up a screen on his computer and scanned the barcode off the bottom of the old unit. Printed out a receipt for me and off I went. Couldn’t have taken 5 minutes.

20. 242424

242424 AllStar

Mar 22, 2012
    Thanks! If they don't send the kit this week I'll try that route (Did ANOTHER chat last night lol)