Replacement DirecTV DVR Receivers Needed...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Codeman00, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Codeman00

Codeman00 Godfather

Dec 13, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Hey everyone...I've been out of the loop for awhile and need some advice.

My current home setup is 4 DVRs: (1) HR34 and (3) HR24's all hooked up together so that the DVR'd shows can be viewed on all TVS. I'm not really sure of the connections, etc. I'd like to keep a similar setup with being able to record on each DVR. By the way, I own all of the equipment.

One of my HR24's died this morning with a temperature issue. Another HR24 is exhibiting video "slurs" and "hiccups" during live broadcasts. I need to replace both of them inexpensively and I see I can get replacement HR24's for about $40 a piece but it almost looks like HR34's are a similar price. I assume they are plug and play HR24 for HR34? I know they need different remotes. I still don't like the new DVR interface of the HR34 but I can grow to like I guess. I've also read of newer HR (DVR) receivers...are there any other options that I need to look at for a similar price? Or should I stick with the HR24 or HR34? Do I need to look at revision levels? I'm honestly happy with the HR24's except they have slowed down over time even after factory resets...maybe its time for a bit more speed.

I was just going to buy them over ebay but will DirecTV replace them since I've been a customer for a long time. I don't want to get into any contract though. Is ebay (3rd party) my best option?

2. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Avoid ebay.. Almost all receivers are leased and you wont be able to activate them. Just call Directv if you have the protection plan replacement is free.. if not shipping is 20 bucks The only Newer HR Receivers would replace your HR34 for a 44/54 which would be a good option as it is alot faster.. There is no newer model for the 24

3. Codeman00

Codeman00 Godfather

Dec 13, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Good to know about the ebay receivers. I had no idea I wouldn't be able to activate (most) of them.

I'm only replacing two of the HR24s so it sounds like I'd just be getting the same ol HR24 which is fine. I do not have the whole home plan and I'm ok with paying the $20....that's cheaper than $40 and it not working. I'll definitely go that route. Thanks!

4. Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
  5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The 34 will be easy to replace. D* knows they're bad. You'll probably get a 44 which is a fine DVR. Don't buy from eBay, not at this time. Call D* and make your case, that's the simplest, least expensive thing you can do. They should be able to drop ship the replacements to you. Send me a PM if you have any questions.

Rich

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The HR34 is a Genie. You can only have one (1) Genie on your account. Too bad you weren't here when DIRECTV was replacing all the HR34s with newer models because the 34 isn't a very good model.

Call and tell them about the one 24. They will try to get you to upgrade your whole system to an HS17/Genie 2. Don't do it. You'll lose all your DVRs (HR24s and your HR34) and have a mini at each TV. $19.50 plus tax for shipping.

Not sure if they will replace your second HR24 though. But you can complain about it. AND complain about how slow the HR34 is. They may replace that also. But don't tell them you're willing to upgrade....unless you want the two-year contract extension. You want those units replaced. And don't forget, you'll lose any recordings you have when you swap out a DVR. About the only reason to replace the fan as Richard suggested.

7. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Are you positive that you own the equipment? Do you pay for the protection plan? I'm pretty sure that the rules for replacement of owned equipment without the protection plan are different than the rules for leased equipment.

8. Codeman00

Codeman00 Godfather

Dec 13, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I called up DirecTV yesterday and noted that I wanted two of my HR24's replaced, one because of the temp issue and the other because of the video slurring issue. He said that he definitely will send out a new HR24 to replace the one with the temp issue but said that the other one he would have to send a tech out. I could tell by the tone of his voice that if I would have just said the 2nd one had a temp issue too, he would have sent out a replacement and that I probably should have fabricated more of an issue. Oh well, an HR24 is on the way and all is good.

I definitely don't need my HR34 Genie replaced, I have no speed issues or anything like that. I just don't really care for the new menus....but that's no big deal. Thank you for the fan link...I had already ordered the replacement HR24. I might go ahead and order a fan and see if I can fix the failed DVR and replace the lagging one. Also, I own these HR24 receivers from long ago at an old house...I haven't been on a contract in years.

Thanks all. Much appreciated.

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The rule USED to be if you truly owned the HR you better have the PP. If you don't have the PP and the HR goes bad it will be replaced with a leased HR. If you have the PP it will be replaced with an owned HR. God only knows what happens now if you have an ATT account. They have everything so screwed up...Bothers me just to think about it.

Rich

10. DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Codeman, before you activate your receiver, make triple sure you aren't leasing it and make sure that you aren't entering into a contract. They screwed me over many years ago and I could never get out from under the contract.

WB3FFV likes this.
  11. Codeman00

Codeman00 Godfather

Dec 13, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I will definitely check this out before I activate it. Thank you for the warning...I understand where you guys are going with this...

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If you think you got screwed over years ago you're not gonna be happy with the new regime. This is worse.

Rich

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I hope you're gonna come back and tell us what happens. I don't think you're gonna be happy.

Rich

14. Codeman00

Codeman00 Godfather

Dec 13, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I called DTV last night before I activated my receiver and asked if I was locked into a contract, etc. The customer service guy said absolutely not. The only way I would have entered a contract is if I received UPGRADED equipment, not replacement equipment. I clarified it with him again, and he said the same. I think I'm in the clear....at least I hope I am.

I moved the remaining video slurring/slower HR24 to the room where I use it the least and now I can check and see if the problem is with something other than the DVR in the bedroom. So far, the new receiver works like a champ...all is good again.

Rich likes this.