Replacement DVR (HR24)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by djacks01, Jun 26, 2019.

1. djacks01

djacks01 New Member

Jan 7, 2015
    Middle...
    Ordered a new HR24 to replace one that is failing (very slow channel changes, freezes (stops/starts) with ALL recorded shows. I simply want a new HR24-500 to replace my failing HR24. Am told that I must purchase through ATT/DTV. I can not find a place to purchase from ATT/DTV on the web site. I just want to buy/lease a new receiver and find it difficult. After 25 years with DirecTV I am still a loyal customer and continue to find their policies frustrating. Any advice is appreciated.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    There are no NEW HR24 receivers. All are refurbished.
    Your problems are most likely the hard drive is failing.
    Don't spend any money.
    Unplug the one you have and call them. They will step you thru a list of things to do ( they have to do it ). Tell them it does not work, no lights , nothing. They will ask if a lamp or other item works when plugged into the same wall receptacle. Tell them yes.
    At that point they should send you a replacement at no charge except $20 for shipping it. It does not add to you contract time.

Rich likes this.
  3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    All the 24s are old. It's not the 24s that are slow, it's the HDDs in them. If you put a new external HDD on the 24 you are having problems with the issues you see now will probably go away and you'll be using what seems to be a brand new 24. Following Jimmies' advice will get you a refurbished 24 which will have an older HDD in it that has been "refurbished". What that means is they wipe out the recordings on the old HDD and reformat it. That should give you about the same result as putting a new external drive on it. But that won't last as long as a new HDD will. Either way will solve your present problems. Hopefully. A new external HDD with an external device will cost you about a hundred dollars. Getting a replacement from D* is obviously less expensive.

Rich

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    As stated by Rich the HR24s are old. Upgrade to a Genie. If all you need is HD a HR44 will do. If you want 4K either a HR54 with a C61K-700 client or a HS17 with a C61K-700 client will do. Upgrading will trigger a new commitment but you'll have newer equipment.

Rich likes this.
  5. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    No point in getting the HR44, might as well get the HR54. Re: the new commitment for an upgrade, make sure you do a self install for a 1 yr commit or you'll get a 2 yr commit for a tech install. That's assuming your HR24 is running on a SWM setup.

But yeah, I had an HR24 until recently. Glad I got rid of it. What a pile of junk. The HR54 never freezes.

6. ColdCase

ColdCase AllStar

Sep 10, 2007
    New England
    Yeah the HR54 is so much better than the HR24, dunno how I lived all those years without one. But then getting one may not be all that easy, I had quite an ordeal with account and authorizations, killed DVRs, techs that didn't show. All seems to be good now, but what an adventure down the rabbit hole :)

D* will want to pull everything out and replace with a Genie 2 system (HS17 and clients I think). So the easiest method is to connect an external Hard drive to your current unit and see how it goes. If you don't like it, do what jimee says, and connect the drive you bought to the HR24 they send you.

INMO the HR54 is worth logistics frustrations, however. If you don't run into the logistics problem I did, then even better. You need a SWM system to make a HR54 work, however.

Rich likes this.
  7. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I had a discount roll off in Jan / Feb and I had to play CSR roulette 5 times before getting it put back on. In April / May, the big discount fell off and I wasn't going to do the 5 call thing again, so I was ready to cancel, but turned out that after the bad 1st quarter, they were handing out discounts like candy again -- so I swung for the fences: discount + free upgrade to the HR54 :). I didn't order online or through a CSR, but SPECIFICALLY through Tech Support which was able to comp it (except for s&h) -- neither CSR or Retentions was able to. Or didn't want to lol, even though it was noted in my account that they agreed to that. I also SPECIFICALLY mentioned I didn't want the HS17 (for reasons I won't rehash here lol).

Long story short, try to get it comped through Tech Support.

You WILL need a SWM setup where as with the HR24 you may not have one...

8. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    I have an HR44 and and HR24 running together. It works really well as a whole home DVR package.

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    as I know, on only one way to get NIB HR24 is buy it at eBay... but it will cost you and need a time to catch it there

10. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Good luck getting a HR24 you bought on eBay activated ;).

11. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I've had a couple of HR24s replaced in the last year for free under the protection plan.
    Each time they tried to talk me into a Genie system but I was able to end up getting the HR24.
    My wife doesn't want to upgrade because a tech would have to come to our old house and she is ashamed of it!

Rich likes this.
  12. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    I do too. I just had an HR24 200 replaced with an HR24 100. I also have an HRGenie and they too work well together. Since they belong to D*, there was no commitment to a contract. I could have gone for the mini genie but that would have committed me to a two year contract for an upgrade.

They offered me a free protection plan for a month with no commitments, can cancel it anytime, and the tech came out and upgraded my wiring and checked all my connections. He installed the HR24 until it worked correctly. My old one was having problems making contact with the dish so they wanted to make sure it was something else other than the HR24. Everything is working well.

13. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    The 44/24 setup works well for me and gives me 7 tuners to record on and play back on any tv.