1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement HD DVR and 24 month commitment Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Chemwise, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Chemwise

Chemwise New Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Last week I upgraded by set-up with a new genie. As usual, I had to agree to a 24 month commitment as a part of the upgrade.

After the upgrade, I have one HR20 in my system (all of my other DVR's are newer) and I'm considering ordering an HR-24 from Solid Signal to replace the HR-20.

My question is, if I order an HR-24 from Solid Signal it is suppose to require a 24 month commitment. Does this commitment stack on the one I just agreed to for the genie (2 yrs + 2 yrs = 4 yrs) or is a concurrent commitment ( effectively still just a 2 yr commitment total)?

I dont think they stack, so from a commitment standpoint, now would be the time to upgrade the HR20, however I just wanted to make sure before I do it.

Thanks,

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    No they don't "stack", so now is the best time as you're only restarting the 24 months.

3. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Not only they don't stock commitments but its not tied to the receivers either as cellphone companies love to do. Is 2 years from the latest activated leased "promotional" receiver

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

4. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    Well it's really two years from the last activated "upgraded" receiver. If a receiver fails and they ship you a receiver replacement under warranty, or under the Protection Plan, or for $19.95 s/h that would not add a commitment. If you activate a leased additional or upgraded replacement receiver you get from DirecTV or a third party then that would start a new 24 month agreement. Buy a receiver from Weaknees or SS, that starts a new agreement. Buy a receiver from DirecTV, that starts an agreement, whether you pay full price or nothing for it.

5. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Well it's really two years from the last activated "upgraded" receiver. If a receiver fails and they ship you a receiver replacement under warranty, or under the Protection Plan, or for $19.95 s/h that would not add a commitment. If you activate a leased additional or upgraded replacement receiver you get from DirecTV or a third party then that would start a new 24 month agreement. Buy a receiver from Weaknees or SS, that starts a new agreement. Buy a receiver from DirecTV, that starts an agreement, whether you pay full price or nothing for it.

Exactly what I meant by "promotional"

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app