1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement HR20 requires a new 2 Year Contract?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by badlydrawnboy, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. badlydrawnboy

badlydrawnboy Mentor

Aug 30, 2006
    I called D* Last night, about my audio dropouts and freezing on my hr20-700, they had me do the usual steps, reset everything, redo guided setup etc.

My hr10-250 records flawlessly. Never skips a beat. Anyway they told me if the problems persisted to call back today, and they would ship me a new receiver.

So I call, and they are telling me they need me to sign a new 2-year contract in order for me to get the replacement receiver. and that I would be paying 19.99 for shipping, along with 299.99 for a reciever, but they'd go ahead and credit me back the 299.

Surely they should just be sending me out a replacement? I've had this since September/October. Not sure what the warranty/replacement policy is on this.

2. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I think it's a 90 warranty, but I won't swear to it. Do you have the protection plan?

3. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Yes the warranty is 90 days and if you don't have the protection plan you have to sign a new 2 year contract and pay $20. If you have the protection plan no new contract and free swap out.

4. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Well, that sucks, in my opinion. I don't mind paying shipping, and I don';t mind paying a small fee when a DVR that they own and I lease from them goes bad. But to force me into another 2 year contract to replace their bad equipment...

Well, if it happened to me, then I suppose that Sunday Ticket wouldn't be that important to me any more, which is the primary reason I have D* anyway.

5. seanb61

seanb61 Mentor

Jan 19, 2007

Call DTV and ask for customer retention. You should hot have to sign a new contract to have them replace the HR-20 they are required, by the orginal contract, to keep in working order. You don't own the dam thing, they do.

6. gblues

gblues AllStar

Dec 8, 2005
    It sounds like someone's ordering an upgrade (new contract), not a replacement (no new contract for leased equipment). The "charge 299 and credit it back" nonsense doesn't make any sense, unless you demanded a non-refurbished unit or something like that.

7. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I believe you should be covered by the "lease" terms of your contract. You should not have to re-new

8. georgeorwell

georgeorwell AllStar

Jun 21, 2007
    While I think it sucks you should have to pay for leased equipment that goes bad, the protection plan looks like a good insurance policy for several things, including dish realignment. Since I have a high pitched roof and live in hurricane country....sign me up.

9. badlydrawnboy

badlydrawnboy Mentor

Aug 30, 2006
    thanks guys, I'll call back now and press them on it, I just wanted to be sure I wasn't getting hosed.

Heck she told me on the phone I could get a new one free for a 2 year commitment, so then I was wondering why I had to return the old one?

I don't have the protection plan.

10. jgrade

jgrade Godfather

Sep 30, 2006
    You have to return the old one because you are leasing it. The 299 price is a deep discount over the purchase price.

11. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Sounds like just a bad CSR. Call back and get another one and ask for retention if you get nowhere. I wouldn't think you'd need to reup your contract to replace a leased receiver gone bad.

I personally wouldn't care, they could put me on a 10 year commitment because I'm not going anywhere (as long as they have Sunday Ticket anyway) but I can understand others having an issue.

12. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    What lease term is that?

13. gblues

gblues AllStar

Dec 8, 2005
    Operative word is "new". You got an upgrade, not a replacement. Call back and ask for Tech Tier 2. Retention can't order replacements for advanced equipment.

14. cavihitts

cavihitts Godfather

Mar 11, 2007
    The HD-DVR is the only reciever that carries a 1 year warranty.

15. bullitt

bullitt Legend

Apr 26, 2002
    You should not have to pay for a leased item replacement, just threaten to cancel or play CSR Roulette (call till you get a good one). ;)
    My HR10-250 was relaced with new HR20 for free without any mention of a contract or lease agreement, it too was defective and they shipped me a refurbished one that is almost 100%. I do have the protection plan.

16. Mixer

Mixer Hall Of Fame

Sep 28, 2006
    When I first signed up it did require a two year contract but that was because I was getting the HR20 for free. I also asked if I needed the protection plan and they said that covered only the outside parts and labor. I asked if I would ever have to pay if this box went bad. They said no. I aksed for that to be stated clearly in my account before I signed on. They added that statement to my account notes and I verified with another CSR that night that it in fact was stated in there.

I also have a note that says I will never need a multiswitch to recieve their programming (unless I add a thrid receiver) and if for some reason I do they will come out and install it free of charge.

I always get it in writing it I am unsure.

17. rb5505

rb5505 Legend

Dec 23, 2004
    this whole commitment thing to replace a defective reciever is a steaming pile of b.s. this was one of those "do you think our customers will let us get away with this one?" things. don't let them do it and and call retention as others have suggested. it's the only way they might understand that for this circumstance, a futher commit is ridiculous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.