1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement of HR20?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by EricRobins, Nov 30, 2010.

1. EricRobins

EricRobins Godfather

Feb 9, 2005
    I have 2 HR20s that are each beginning to fail. They were installed together back in Aug '07, so they've lived a good life.

I am assuming that D* will NOT give me HR20's again. Should I *demand* AM-21s (or whatever they are called) so I can get OTA too?

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I would definitely mention that you need OTA capability. They should at least sell you one at a lower cost than the $49.

3. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Don't know about not getting HR20's as replacements. There have been a number of folks that have requested replacement's for their HR20's for new 3D TV's (HR20/H20 don't do 3D) and they get sent another HR20, in some cases multiple times.

4. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Yeah, you might even get my HR20 I just sent back. Hopefully, they fix it first. :)

5. toneman

toneman Legend

Oct 23, 2007
    I was able to get D* to send me two HR24s to replace my existing HR20s after I told the rep that I just bought a 3D TV and wanted to take advantage of D*'s 3D programming; they were to be drop-shipped to my home on a separate work order but since the installer was not able to get MRV to work w/ my HR20s as part of the Movers Connection plan, the decision was made to swap them out w/ HR24s he had in his van.

6. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    That's what's "supposed" to happen, HR20's replaced with a HR21 or higher, but some folks can't get DirecTV to do that, see http://forums.directv.com/pe/action...PostID=10780076&channelID=1&portalPageId=1002 for an example.

7. Dec 2, 2010 #7 of 15
    jps6468

jps6468 Mentor

Sep 20, 2007
    I just called for a replacement for my failing HR-20 under the protection plan. The unit they sent was a refurb HR-20.

8. Dec 2, 2010 #8 of 15
    Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    If you get another HR20 as a replacement great; if not, then call back and request a free AM21 to regain the OTA feature you had prior to being replaced. I have done this several times....

9. Dec 3, 2010 #9 of 15
    thepoloman33

thepoloman33 Mentor

Jun 20, 2006
    My failing HR-20 was also recently replaced by a refurb'd HR-20 under the protection plan. I was hoping for a new unit given that my HR-20 is 4+ years old. I use OTA, so I guess there's no other option.

Does anyone know what the expected life of the HR-20 is?

Thanks,

-Matt

10. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    If you use OTA there sure is another option. An AM-21 add-on module can be added to any HR21, HR22, HR23, HR24 to accomplish the same thing. Infact if they replace a HR20 with any other model HRx series receiver, they are obligated to give you a free AM-21 to recoop the same features you had before. all you have to do is ask if this senario happens.

11. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Does anyone know what the expected life of the HR-20 is?

Thanks,

-Matt[/QUOTE]

Probably equal to the life of the hard drive. My 4 year old HR20's drive started to fail and I just replaced the drive, I didn't want to go through the head ache of a different HR and having to add an AM21. The HR20 has always performed well, and it still does again.

12. thepoloman33

thepoloman33 Mentor

Jun 20, 2006
    I recall the CS rep specifically asking me if I used OTA. This must trigger something in their system that notes to ship a HR-20.

I'd love to see an option (through a MRV push or a USB Cable) to transfer recordings to a replacement receiver.

-Matt

13. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Right, but that's also the reason that HR20s will be replaced with HR20s (and not anything newer) by default, whenever possible. Those AM21s aren't free, and DirecTV isn't going to pony up for them when they have a pile of HR20 refurbs sitting around.

If in fact you *don't* need OTA, then you can tell the CSR that, and you'll probably get something newer (but not necessarily an HR24). But don't expect an AM21 with that...

14. Podkayne

Podkayne Legend

Nov 1, 2007
    My HR20-100 keeps chugging along, although it is needing a reboot every other week or so to fix intermittent gray-screening. Other than really draggy remote response the only beef I have with it is the BBC's dangling out the back of it. I do like being able to plug my OTA antenna directly in to the back of the unit. And I agree I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE the ability to move my nearly 2 TB of recordings to a new receiver without needing a degree in Information Technology or computer engineering.

15. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    No matter what degree you have, you cannot move the recordings to another DVR. The only recordings playable from one DVR to another are the OTA recordings. None of the sat recordings will work, no matter how you attempt to copy the drive.