Replacement won’t detect swim

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by sticketfan, Oct 14, 2020.

1. sticketfan

sticketfan Legend

Apr 25, 2007
    Vermont
    Received refurbished hr24-100 today and when I hook it up it won’t get by screen where I put in sat info ...keeps telling me it can’t detect swim...yet all the other 3 receivers are fine..it is not getting any sat signal either thanks for any tips

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Sounds like they shipped you a faulty unit. I think this is the second instance of a SWiM-deficient -100 model I've seen in the last couple months. Quality control is not doing very well.

Make sure you didn't bend the center conductor in the coax over when you attached it to the DVR.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Try this:
    Unplug the AC power from the unit. Wait a minute for the AC that is stored in some components to drain.
    Plug the power back in now and wait. It is capable of auto detecting the SWM and it usually does that process when the system is powered up.
    If this works you do not need to set up the satellite.

Rich likes this.
  4. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    I’m really surprised you got a HR24-100 shipped to you. For several years now, it’s usually only the -200 and -500 models. The -100’s had an issue with fans going bad and those were the first 24’s to not be recovered.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    it's an _energy_ stored … usually big capacitors drained out in a seconds

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Since the merger every replacement I've received is the same model as the box it's replaced. I don't remember having a 24-100 go south.

Rich

7. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    I wish I had your luck. :)

I have mutilples of all three HR24 models- never had issues with the -200 and -500 models, but lost a lot of fans in the -100 models that had the two beveled corners. Those were problematic, as several others here had them die too as has been posted.

Still love the 24’s with all my SSD’s!!

Rich likes this.